Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

United Gave 10k to Downgrade

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

United Gave 10k to Downgrade

Just saw this article and thought I'd share. I understand having to change planes is an inconvenience, but 10k to downgrade from Business Class? I'd take it.

https://apple.news/AidWHH-KdRNWrpiQ2EbIzeg

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: United Gave 10k to Downgrade

For me it would depend on where I was going, from west coast to Hawaii? Sure! Or if it had connecting flights and on a  pre-arranged plan I wanted for a sepcific reason, then probably not.

But I don't think we would really know until the moment happens.

Message 2 of 8
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Better PR for United than phone video of dragging off bumped passengers that refuse to deplane.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing!

Message 4 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I may be reading this wrong but it depends who paid for it.

I was looking at some random fares lately and some of the business class fares were that 10k.

They basically gave away 1 business class seat, which, *yawn*.  Actually not even, probably bumped for a full fare, so they just gave away a seat in whatever class he got downgraded to... which meh.

Nice for the individual if he or she wasn't the one paying for it, but otherwise it was 10K - original fare and that might not be much money.

        
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just saw this article and thought I'd share. I understand having to change planes is an inconvenience, but 10k to downgrade from Business Class? I'd take it.

https://apple.news/AidWHH-KdRNWrpiQ2EbIzeg

As much as I dislike economy seats, I would take this too. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Medic981 wrote:

Better PR for United than phone video of dragging off bumped passengers that refuse to deplane.

LOL almost anything will be forever better than that Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 8
iced
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

I may be reading this wrong but it depends who paid for it.

I was looking at some random fares lately and some of the business class fares were that 10k.

They basically gave away 1 business class seat, which, *yawn*.  Actually not even, probably bumped for a full fare, so they just gave away a seat in whatever class he got downgraded to... which meh.

Nice for the individual if he or she wasn't the one paying for it, but otherwise it was 10K - original fare and that might not be much money.

The United I flew didn't factor in original fare class to the equation when doing this, and sometimes it resulted in oddities:

- I've been upgraded from Y when a paid F passenger got bumped.

- I've been left on F standby as a missed connection on paid F while they upgraded other lower ranking elites than I was to F.

- My favorite was I was upgraded, then the F cabin got oversold and they took volunteers for a voucher; I got $500 to go back to Y...then a F passenger missed the connection and I got upgraded to F -- and kept the voucher.

The person getting $10k could just as easily have been a mileage award fare as it was a paid full-fare F. Given the route, I'd actually put money that nobody paid full-fare on that flight and more than one F passenger was a mileage award. HNL just isn't an elite-heavy business destination where a lot of full-fare is paid (on OPP, of course).

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.