Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unopened Tax Refund Requests

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Unopened Tax Refund Requests

The IRS is drowning in unopened tax refund requests amid pandemic. 

The IRS is piling unopened business tax refund requests into storage trailers and advising companies to file by fax instead. It’s stopped answering phone calls on taxpayer assistance lines. And it’s not processing millions of paper tax returns filed by individual Americans

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/04/20/irs-tax-refund-delays-snail-mail-1...

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Unopened Tax Refund Requests

Thank you for sharing the information!

Message 2 of 18
thornback
Senior Contributor

What a mess. I do believe this will carry on into the 2020 tax year - I'll be surprised if they manage to dig out from this massive hole before then. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 18
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

eFile for the win

Message 4 of 18
iced
Valued Contributor

@Nomad3 wrote:

eFile for the win

We efiled and we're still waiting on our refund.

Message 5 of 18
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Nomad3 wrote:

eFile for the win

e-fax Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 18
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Thanks @CreditInspired for postingSmiley Happy ...

What a mess!

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then it also pay not to wait till the last minute to file. As well as buy into the whole "delay" till June BS. They simply made the situation worse IMO. Because they're trying to manage two programs at the time time, normal Tax filing and then ramrod that stimulus package through. 

Message 8 of 18
RSX
Valued Contributor

another example of something the pandemic is Accelerating

the fact that there is 

1. a paper option still around for filing financial documents

2. that a large amount of people are still using the paper option

is a HUGE problem in 2020

this should have been phased out almost entirely by now - that they recieve so much that it takes storage containers is craziness

efile yourself

go to a tax prep company that will efile for you

have a computer at the DMV or similar govt office that allows you to efile if the above 2 options are too expensive for you

i am sure i am missing other options - but something has to move this type of antiquated system forward

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RSX wrote:

another example of something the pandemic is Accelerating

the fact that there is 

1. a paper option still around for filing financial documents

2. that a large amount of people are still using the paper option

is a HUGE problem in 2020

this should have been phased out almost entirely by now - that they recieve so much that it takes storage containers is craziness

efile yourself

go to a tax prep company that will efile for you

have a computer at the DMV or similar govt office that allows you to efile if the above 2 options are too expensive for you

i am sure i am missing other options - but something has to move this type of antiquated system forward

Let's be real. We should have moved past having to file tax returns period ages ago. Most countries they do the tax return for you and you only have to file if you have certain deductions.

The system we have here is purely due to lobbying by tax preparation companies. In fact the IRS was going to launch their own software to let everyone file their taxes for free when TurboTax and H&R Block lobbied to be able to offer a free product to income under $69K (some offerings are considerably less than that) in exchange for the IRS holding off their own software being released and killing those companies. 

Fortunately the IRS has backtracked from the agreement after TurboTax and others were caught trying to steer people eligible to file for free to paid products and will be developing their own software which is the first step to simplifying taxes in this country finally. 

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.