cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update: Course reversed-Wells Fargo Tells Customers It’s Shuttering All Personal Lines Of Credit

tag
ntx
Regular Contributor

Update: Course reversed-Wells Fargo Tells Customers It’s Shuttering All Personal Lines Of Credit

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/08/wells-fargo-is-shutting-down-all-personal-line-of-credit-accounts-.h...

"With its latest move, Wells Fargo warned customers that the account closures “may have an impact on your credit score,” according to a Frequently Asked Questions segment of the letter."  Smiley Sad

FICO 8 as of March 27, 2024:
Message 1 of 75
74 REPLIES 74
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wells Fargo Tells Customers It’s Shuttering All Personal Lines Of Credit

This combined with the cancelation of most card offerings tells me the bank is in trouble.

Message 2 of 75
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@gdale6 wrote:

This combined with the cancelation of most card offerings tells me the bank is in trouble.

That, and I think they're still dealing with the fallout from the Fed's restrictions on how they can operate, still trying to figure it out.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 75
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

This is certainly going to cause a PR backlash for them. Thank you for sharing.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 4 of 75
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

I was leaning toward not applying for their new 2% card due to the excessive number of scandals over the last several years and this just solidifies my feelings further. I wouldn't get a revolving loan like the ones mentioned in the article but it goes to show this bank can't avoid controversy and pissing off their customers. 

Message 5 of 75
RickNATL
Established Contributor

This hits hard, I've had a $30K LOC since 2016. I hate to hear this but glad it's not my only LOC. 

I wonder how the closing of the acct will be remarked, i.e. "closed by lender:, etc...?

Message 6 of 75
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@ntx wrote:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/08/wells-fargo-is-shutting-down-all-personal-line-of-credit-accounts-.h...

"With its latest move, Wells Fargo warned customers that the account closures “may have an impact on your credit score,” according to a Frequently Asked Questions segment of the letter."  Smiley Sad

Wow. That is weird.

I can understand phasing out a product, and not offering it to new customers.

I can understand not allowing any new borrowing under the product.

But unilaterally changing the terms of existing accounts and simply closing them has got to be a breach of contract, and probably a violation of banking regulations and laws.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 7 of 75
rgd51
Frequent Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@ntx wrote:

Wow. That is weird.

I can understand phasing out a product, and not offering it to new customers.

I can understand not allowing any new borrowing under the product.

But unilaterally changing the terms of existing accounts and simply closing them has got to be a breach of contract, and probably a violation of banking regulations and laws.

As we have seen over the last several years WF has made it quite clear with their actions that they don't respect banking regulations and laws so none of this is surprising!

Message 8 of 75
ntx
Regular Contributor

Now that you mention it, they probably make quite a bit of money from interest and fees from these lines of credit. It does make me wonder what outweighs that revenue enough to walk away from it now and in the future. 

FICO 8 as of March 27, 2024:
Message 9 of 75
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@SweetCreditObsession wrote:

This is certainly going to cause a PR backlash for them. Thank you for sharing.

I found out about this when I was on Twitter earlier. They're definitely getting some of that backlash over there.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 10 of 75
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.