Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using AI to give workers a “productivity score”

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using AI to give workers a “productivity score”

From the 'Coming soon to a credit score near you!'' department:

"Once it has learned a typical pattern of behavior for an employee, the software gives that person a “productivity score” between 0 and 100."

"But the idea is that managers can use these scores to see how their employees are getting on, rewarding them if they get quicker at doing their job or checking in with them if performance slips."

This startup is using AI to give workers a “productivity score”  (MIT Tech Review)

I can easily see things like this being incorporated into 'Alternative Data Scoring Models'. They'll sell it as a way to 'combat inequality' and 'help society by making it more inclusive'.

I keep thinking that eventually there's going to be a huge backlash to all of this, and something like GDPR will gain momentum in the United States, but that seems a long way off.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Using AI to give workers a “productivity score”

@Anonymous, I always did like a good game of Chess,

I beat the principal of my school in a Chess tournament when I was in the 3rd grade. (He was no beginner)

My Mother enrolled Me in a weekly adult Chess tournament. I played people that killed me so to speak.

I think that is what made Me so good at the Game.

Sorry for the OT.

Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

I beat the principal of my school in a Chess tournament when I was in the 3rd grade. (He was no beginner)

My Mother enrolled Me in a weekly adult Chess tournament. I played people that killed me so to speak.

Sorry for the OT.

I always found this fascinating: http://boylston-chess-club.blogspot.com/2016/04/but-its-over-at-au-bon-pain-boys-of.html

For years many great, and sometimes very famous, chess players would sit and play for hours on the large patio of a coffee shop just across the street from Harvard. The link has pictures of some and what it looked like. Note the chess tables with chairs made of concrete.

I never learned the game but found it fascinating to watch and try and figure it out without any introduction.

The line in the signature came from an 80s movie, Wargames, about a kid that almost starts WW3 by reactivating a dormant program running on a military computer. This is the computer's response at the end of the movie, after it stopped running a global thermonuclear war simulation:

wargames-screen-chess.png

Message 3 of 29
amck12
New Contributor

Dang that's invasive, and potentially privacy invading (taking a webcam picture every 10 minutes?!). I don't appreciate being micromanaged, give me a deadline and I will have it done. With software like that I would just print all my work and go back to doing everything on paper, I can't work with people constantly looking over my shoulder. There's plenty of other ways to measure productivity, like actually looking at the work accomplished. If you don't trust me to do the work they can hire someone else.

How on earth did they figure that was a good idea Smiley Frustrated

Chase Freedom - $6.7K SL - Opened 10/2008
Paypal Smart Connect - $1.9K SL - Opened 06/2009
USAA Rewards - $12.6K SL - Opened 02/2011
Syn Care Credit - $18K SL - Opened 05/2017
Chase Amazon - $2.3K SL - Opened 07/2012
Chase Slate - $4.2K SL - Opened 06/2019
NFCU Platinum - $18K SL - Opened 06/2019
NFCU Flagship - $25K SL - Opened 09/2019

Fico 8 (USAA/Discover): 706 (09/2019), 716 (05/2020)
Fico 9 (NFCU): 738 (10/2019), 782 (05/2020)

Fico 8 3 bureau (Creditchecktotal): EX-709 EQ-723 TU-723 (10/2019)

Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amck12 wrote:

How on earth did they figure that was a good idea Smiley Frustrated

It's all part of this 'collect everything we can' big data culture. The number of permutations in the data used to be large enough that only people with mainframes could do it. These days anyone can buy enough cloud compute infrastructure to try their hand at it.

Everyone thinks they'll find some holy grail by collecting as much personal information as possible. A large part of it comes from smartphone apps, where companies large and small beg us to install them for some sort of convenience that gives them access to data they can resell to some analytics market.

Just look at who else thinks this is A Good Thing™:

"But Weir claims to also be in in late-stage talks with Delta Airlines and CVS Health, a US health-care and pharmacy chain ranked #5 on the Fortune 500 list. Neither company would comment on if or when they were preparing to deploy the system."

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can definitely see some good in this, as well as the bad just like anything else in life. The good, would be that maybe those "deadbeats' can finally get what they deserve. No matter where I've worked there has alwasy been those that do very little and go unnoticed while you're doing most of the work. I never understood how managment couldn't see this, and it's only gotten worse in today's society with everyone being on their phone all day. 

Obviously then you have the privacy issues, but then again you're in their employ and thus give up a certain amount of that. What Companies today do not have surveillance? And it all boils to down to increasing productivity while lowering costs, having an algorithm decide everything is where we're heading. So it's only natural to see it replace the Human factor in every facet of industry. At some point we'll have these AI overlords scrutinizing everything we do, and opting to replace us all with robots. lol

Message 6 of 29
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I am not 100% coherent right now but every company has the capability for surveillience of one form or another whether they are quite aware of that or not is a different issue.  Yesterday I sadly did my disservice to humanity in napkin sketching the solution for someone who didn't quite get it.

Job #2 VP calls a meeting and asks how we can not only track who is in an office but where they are because we are trying to reopen our offices while maintaining social distancing... he's aware that there are some capabilities around using WAPs to track people by BLE, but didn't fully realize that the ones we are installing already have that feature or the implications of such.

"Oh huh, well it's going to be a challenge to get at the data."

Not really, their website has libraries for Python, node, and three other languages here, pretty sure we can leverage one easily enough.

"Hmm, we will have to analyze the data though."

Yo jefe, did you forget that's what this company does, provide analytics solutions to other companies?  Pretty sure we have people who can do that.

There was what I have heard termed as a pregnant pause there of both the VP and my boss as they put it together.

"This isn't something we are doing today, just something if necessary."

Right.  Betcha within 3 months we are doing it, hell it might even be 3 weeks and this place is not a dynamic company.

Sorry I wasn't at my best this week and what started as an innocent question and response probably just sent another billion dollar company down the road to tracking their employees in more resolution when it comes to analyzing them.

        
Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

Right.  Betcha within 3 months we are doing it, hell it might even be 3 weeks and this place is not a dynamic company.

Sorry I wasn't at my best this week and what started as an innocent question and response probably just sent another billion dollar company down the road to tracking their employees in more resolution when it comes to analyzing them.

I think that's a good thing right now - the more companies start doing it, the more the general public will see it as a bug and not a feature.

This is what happened with outsourcing call center work to foreign countries. It used to be a big thing and today it's better to advertise "When you call us, you get to talk to an actual American!".

"Once set up, the software runs in the background all the time, monitoring whatever data trail a company can provide for each of its employees. Using an algorithm called Trigger-Task-Time, the system learns the typical workflow for different workers: what triggers, such as an email or a phone call, lead to what tasks and how long those tasks take to complete."

It's a perfect way to destroy morale, increase turnover, and kill productivity among the best employees. The new-hires and interns will do everything they can to please the system, until they burn out. But the big companies won't see it that way for several years, which provides another opportunity for smaller companies and startups.

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Sorry for the OT.

I always found this fascinating: http://boylston-chess-club.blogspot.com/2016/04/but-its-over-at-au-bon-pain-boys-of.html

For years many great, and sometimes very famous, chess players would sit and play for hours on the large patio of a coffee shop just across the street from Harvard. The link has pictures of some and what it looked like. Note the chess tables with chairs made of concrete.

I never learned the game but found it fascinating to watch and try and figure it out without any introduction.

The line in the signature came from an 80s movie, Wargames, about a kid that almost starts WW3 by reactivating a dormant program running on a military computer. This is the computer's response at the end of the movie, after it stopped running a global thermonuclear war simulation:

@Anonymous wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Sorry for the OT.

Love that movie! The big war board was awesome once it got rolling ... Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 29
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I can definitely see some good in this, as well as the bad just like anything else in life. The good, would be that maybe those "deadbeats' can finally get what they deserve. No matter where I've worked there has alwasy been those that do very little and go unnoticed while you're doing most of the work. I never understood how managment couldn't see this, and it's only gotten worse in today's society with everyone being on their phone all day. 

Obviously then you have the privacy issues, but then again you're in their employ and thus give up a certain amount of that. What Companies today do not have surveillance? And it all boils to down to increasing productivity while lowering costs, having an algorithm decide everything is where we're heading. So it's only natural to see it replace the Human factor in every facet of industry. At some point we'll have these AI overlords scrutinizing everything we do, and opting to replace us all with robots. lol

They get away with it because it's not easy to fire someone anymore. Companies have to worry about lawsuits from wrongful termination claims. Even in at-will states, companies have to make sure they build a history on the individual which is why it seems all they do is document, document, document. Without it there could be claims of discrimination and retaliation.

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.