Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING: Credit card skimmers can possibly steal info via Bluetooth

tag
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

WARNING: Credit card skimmers can possibly steal info via Bluetooth

So this leaves me somwhat confused regarding Fraud Tip #2. If most of the skimmers are Bluetooth enabled, at what stage are android and ios app developers in designing an app to detect skimmers? #Sloooooow

If paying at the pump with a credit card, these tips might help you avoid becoming a victim of a gas pump skimmer (Texas Dept. of Agriculture)

Tip#2
Before pumping, check for unusual Bluetooth signals with ID of string of numbers and letters; might be a skimmer

http://amp.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/warning-credit-card-skimmers-can-possibly-steal-info-via-b...
Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
arkane
Established Contributor

Re: WARNING: Credit card skimmers can possibly steal info via Bluetooth

Honestly with the ever evoving technology these days there's really not much you can do to deter a determined criminal. Instead I keep a close eye on my daily transactions, and alert the bank of any suspicious activity.

Also this is why I don't use debit cards, especially when they offer less protection than credit cards.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 2 of 4
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Even if you detect a bluetooth signal at a gas pump it could be comming from the car next to you it isn't necessarly a skimmer. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 3 of 4
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

@MakingProgress wrote:

Even if you detect a bluetooth signal at a gas pump it could be comming from the car next to you it isn't necessarly a skimmer. 

In which case, it would be great if more merchants had NFC payment terminals--especially at the pumps for use with Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, Visa Checkout, MasterPass, etc.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.