cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart launching 5% cashback cards with Capital One

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Established Contributor

Walmart launching 5% cashback cards with Capital One

Link to article on Techcrunch - Walmart launches two new credit cards offering 5% back on digital purchases

Walmart's trying to get in on the mostly-younger folks, I imagine, that are chasing those 5% categories on various other cards. Probably trying to get people to do more walmart.com shopping and compete with the Amazon Visa with Chase. 

AU

Starting Score: 651
Current Score: 683
Goal Score: 751

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart launching 5% cashback cards with Capital One

I got letter yesterday for existing Walmart card.

I believe it said 5% online and 2% in store.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k+ unsecured credit in 2017  -  $250k+ unsecured credit in 2019.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

10% Rotating - Discover                    5%-20% - Amazon & Lowes                3-6% Groceries - NFCU & Amex Preferred
3-5% Gas - NFCU & Ducks Unl         4% Dining & Entertain - Savor            3% Travel & Hotels - Flagship, Propel, & Uber
2% Everything Else - Flagship          1% Cancer Charity - Fifth Third          0% Finance Promos - Venture & QuickSilver

Message 2 of 14

I did got  a letter .

Is this walmart store credit card worthy ?Does it has price protection feature like capital one master card ?

Message 3 of 14
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

That’s actually pretty nice. Not nice enough for me to get the card AGAIN lol, but not a bad offering. If it were 5% on in-store purchases, I would reconsider. 

Discover It: 19.7k
Amex BCE: 18k
Citi DC: 5.7k
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Once you go Berner, you never go back.
Message 4 of 14
Valued Contributor

Walmart’s New Credit Cards Have One Big Goal: Boost E-Commerce

Walmart’s New Credit Cards Have One Big Goal: Boost E-Commerce

•  Capital One cards offer more rewards with mobile checkout app
  •  Cash back for online orders will increase to 5% from 3%

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.

Message 5 of 14
Valued Contributor

@SEAlifer wrote:

Link to article on Techcrunch - Walmart launches two new credit cards offering 5% back on digital purchases

Walmart's trying to get in on the mostly-younger folks, I imagine, that are chasing those 5% categories on various other cards. Probably trying to get people to do more walmart.com shopping and compete with the Amazon Visa with Chase. 

Seems rather odd TBH. Mostly-younger folks that are into the CC svaing game likely already immersed into the Amazon world, or a similar card. Walmart has a certain clientele that i don't really associatye with tech savvy. For the most part.

While 5% is a very nice perk, half the mechandise there I can get cheaper at Amazon. If I even shopped there that much.

I wish that I had a Walmart Grocery near me, then I could definitely make it a useful Card at 5%!  

I'm interested to see what happens to this card after the hype settles down and the smoke clears. Will these perks remain to keep people using it, or will it just become another 1.5% card in a few years? 

Message 6 of 14
Senior Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

That’s actually pretty nice. Not nice enough for me to get the card AGAIN lol, but not a bad offering. If it were 5% on in-store purchases, I would reconsider. 

You get 5% in-store for the first 12 months when paying with Walmart Pay and a Walmart card. Only the first 12 months wouldn't be enough to get me to app for the card if i didn't have one, but as i have a Walmart store card it's enough to get me to start using it again.

Fico 08: 734/716/734 TU/EX/EQ
Message 7 of 14
Established Contributor

Re: Walmart’s New Credit Cards Have One Big Goal: Boost E-Commerce

Walmart.com has some great deals and has third party sellers to expand their selection. I’ve found stuff on there that Amazon didn’t have or did have at a way higher price. Amazon lately is just stepping up there game with 1-day shipping for Prime members. I ordered a new laptop charger this past Saturday evening and got it by the afternoon the next day. Hard to compete with that.

AU

Starting Score: 651
Current Score: 683
Goal Score: 751

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 14

Definitely a better start, managed to get Synch's SUB before they took it off. (signed up in August)

5% is better than the 3%.

Discover CB - $6.1K
Amazon Store - $5K
AMX CM - $4.9K
PayPal Extras - $5K
Apple Card $4K
Old Navy Visa - $3.9K
PayPal Credit - $3.5K
C1 QS Visa - $1K
Uber Visa - $500
Target REDcard - $500
TJMaxx - $300
Walmart Mastercard $500

2 Years of Credit so far

Goal Cards: US Bank Cash+, Maybe Wells Fargo Propel?, Chase Freedom (currently at lol/24)
Message 9 of 14
Established Contributor

I appreciate the business strategy as a concept, but I think Walmart is unlikely to be a serious contender with Amazon online any time soon, and should focus on in-store sales; meaning, I think they should do the 5% discount for in-store purchases (or actually, all purchases). If they would do that, I'd put this card on my "goal cards" list and start scheming my way toward it. But 5% online (at a store I don't really shop at much online) and 2% in-store (same as my PayPal MC) doesn't do much for me. JMO.

FICO 8 scores are deceptively high. My profile is very young with a lot of recently opened accounts and large number of inquiries. No derogs. Over 5/24 until summer 2021.

Authorized user / Corporate

Closed but still on reports: ExxonMobil, $950, 10/08-02/11 (Equifax only) | Citi secured, $200, 045/19-09/19 | Capital One secured, $300, 04/19-08/19 | My Jewelers Club, $5,000, 05/19-08/19 | Green Dot Primor, $300, 05/19-08/19 | Unsecured personal loan from Coastal, $1,000, 05/19-08/19.

Goal cards: Ducks Unlimited, Chase Sapphire Reserve (or Preferred, haven't decided). Increased CLs across the board.
Long-term goal: Legitimate 770s on EX/EQ/TU, able to qualify for most normal credit products. Prime-rate mortgage.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.