Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well that didn't take long -TU wants me to pay

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Well that didn't take long -TU wants me to pay

I got a nice little email this morning from Transunion's "free" TrueIdentity service. Upgrade the free service we coughed up for EQ exposing your name, date of birth, social security #, and who knows what all else, for eternity for a measly $9.99 per month and get all these terrific extras:

eq.jpg

Hmmm, dark web monitoring? I've always figured if the 3 CRAs can monitor it, it ain't very "dark".

And wow! TU credit report & score! I already get a TU Fico score from half a dozen CCs for free and a TU report & useless Vantage score for free from Credit Karma.

I think I'll pass. The only time I use my TrueIdentity service is to unlock TU when I'm going to app for credit, and then lock it again after app'ing.

I've always figured that credit monitoring service paid by consumers monitoring their own credit has to be a tiny fraction of the CRA's revenue - they make the vast majority of their revenue from credit issuers pulling our CR when we app, and monitoring our report when they extend us credit. But they just can't resist collecting  some extra nickles & dimes from us. The CRAs gather our personal info without out our consent or knowledge, the very least they can do is not try to make us pay to see what they have on us.

EDIT: Rule # 1: Never post until at least after the 2nd cup of coffee! I mistook TU's TrueIdentity for EQ's TrustedID and though it was EQ trying to get me to pay. Thanks to Moneyklutz pointing that out in the comments; original post edited. Smiley Embarassed

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Well that didn't take long -EQ wants me to pay

DaveInAZ got'ta love it Smiley Sad You do nothing wrong but Equifax sells you a service for their error? The capitalistic system at work Smiley Mad

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never bothered signing up for the free credit monitoring after all the data breaches. It was timed right around my BK when I would be app'ing for credit, which I've finished up for now, and I feel credit file freezes are about as good as protection gets right now.

Message 3 of 10
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

No thanks!! EQ is the worst!!
Message 4 of 10
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

Ummm.. I think you're mixing up Equifax with TransUnion?  Equifax's free (after the breach) service is called TrustedID.

TrueIdentity is from TransUnion which would explain the 'free' TU scores?  =)

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Moneyklutz wrote:

Ummm.. I think you're mixing up Equifax with TransUnion?  Equifax's free (after the breach) service is called TrustedID.

TrueIdentity is from TransUnion which would explain the 'free' TU scores?  =)

EQ Needs disputes which is why I requested a free report for this year now until the snail mail comes... Smiley LOL they still have

an address on file I've never lived at 2nd time disputing it ugh everyone else has correct info... And yes the service online from EQ

is still free just doesn't update atleast not for me.

Message 6 of 10
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

Re: Well that didn't take long -TU wants me to pay

@DaveInAZ wrote:

EDIT: Rule # 1: Never post until at least after the 2nd cup of coffee! I mistook TU's TrueIdentity for EQ's TrustedID and though it was EQ trying to get me to pay. Thanks to Moneyklutz pointing that out in the comments; original post edited. Smiley Embarassed

Lol! I can totally relate to the 2nd cup of coffee rule...that and the 'three beers=should you really be posting this?" one are my nemisis here.  =)     

Message 7 of 10
joltdude
Senior Contributor

EQ TrustedID doesnt autoupdate the report. you have to basically "purchase" another EQ report in your acct (which is free) for it to update...

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Proof that the credit bureaus are frauds. 

They store our data and make money from the information, and then charge the same people to access the very same information. 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Well that didn't take long -TU wants me to pay

Personally, i dont use Credit monitoring... with my fico they have the Identity alerts built into their program which i monitor.  29.99 for my score and for my identity alerts. Credit monitoring is just a way for them to suck money out of you. My fico is TECHNICALLY credit monitoring... just with scores.. if you notice your score drop due to a new account or due to a new collections.. That is enough to know something is going on with your identity. New credit DOES affect your score, so you would see the change the first month they submit the account to the beauru. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.