cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the loss of credit card price protection means for consumers

Valued Contributor

What the loss of credit card price protection means for consumers

Article from credit.com discussing how and why some leading issuers are discontinuing price protection as a benefit on their cards. It appears that a major reason for this is that price protection is not really a high priority for most customers as opposed to low APR, cash back and no AF:

http://blog.credit.com/2018/09/loss-of-credit-card-price-protection-186335/

Ch 7 BK discharged 11/28/14, credit rebuild well advanced. FICO 10/15/18:TU 671 FICO 8 or 687 FICO 9/EX 694 FICO 8/EQ 685 FICO 8 or 682 FICO 9 (NFCU 9/30), VS 3.0 10/17/18: TU 702/EX 699/EQ 698. $90,100 revolving credit as of 10/2/18; $1K NFCU cashRewards Visa, $2K BJ's Perks MC, $4.8k Discover It #1, $5.5k Discover It #2 (new 3/12/18), $3.5k Petal Visa, $6k Paypal 2% CB MC, $6k Amazon Prime Store Card, $6k Walmart Store Card, $7k Apple FCU Platinum Visa, $7k Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa, $10.3k Overstock Store Card, $15K Care Credit, $16K Cap One QS Rewards Visa Signature, $10k PenFed used car loan, $5k Navient student loan, $12.7k Lending Club loan. Gardening: RESET THE CLOCK!!! 24 HP inqs total as of 10/12/18: 10 TU, 9 EQ, 5 EX (about half over 1 year old).
2 REPLIES
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: What the loss of credit card price protection means for consumers

Price protection means that if you purchase a product and the price goes down within a set number of days you are refunded the difference. I suspect that this is expensive and difficult to manage "perk" which is why some issuers are discontinuing it. I know I've never used it, but I'm sure it has been abused/used by some. 

Message 2 of 3
Senior Contributor

Re: What the loss of credit card price protection means for consumers

A lot of it is bots. People allow apps to scan their emails, and the apps identify purchases and file the relevant claims. The app takes a cut of any savings and it's all automated.

Protections: CSR, Schwab Platinum, Costco, Double Cash
Rewards/Offers: BBP, CF, CFU, Discover, ED, BCE
Annual nights: IHG, Hyatt
PIN: Arrival
Bonus chasing/retention games: Aviator Red, SPG Luxury
Message 3 of 3