cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Americans are suddenly paying $550 per month for new cars

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Why Americans are suddenly paying $550 per month for new cars

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

I bought a 1984 chevy k10 1/2 ton new that I am still driving daily 35 years later.  I have 217k miles on it and I still enjoy driving it.  I keep the truck in excellent condition and get compliments on it all the time.  I can't even imagine paying the prices that people are today.  I have a friend who paid $70,000 for a new chevy pu. I wouldn't do it even if I could.  I will be driving my truck till the day I die. 

Or it dies 😁. Thanks for sharing this. I loved it. See, back then, they knew how to make vehicles that would last. 

GOALS: Garden til APR 2020 and 800 Club

SEP 2019: EX 791, TU 797, EQ 800
JUN 2019: EX 788, TU 794, EQ 779
DEC 2018: EX 777, TU 783, EQ 799

|| AmX Cash Magnet $25K || NFCU CashRewards $20K || Macy's $20K || Discover IT $18.7K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || AmX ED $11.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 21 of 32
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

I gave up owning a car in 1999 and haven’t looked back. I’m lucky I live in a metropolitan area where public transportation is A-1, I can walk to work, and since the invention of Uber, I can get anywhere I want without monthly car payments, auto insurance, car inspections, emission inspection, property taxes, and car maintenance. Yep, I don’t miss it at all. 

The thing with 72-month, 84-month loans, is the payments more than likely will out live the cheaply made car. So you’re paying for a car that you can’t afford to fix and can’t drive. Yuck!

|| AmX Cash Magnet $25K || NFCU CashRewards $20K || Macy's $20K || Discover IT $18.7K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || AmX ED $11.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 22 of 32
Valued Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

I gave up owning a car in 1999 and haven’t looked back. I’m lucky I live in a metropolitan area where public transportation is A-1, I can walk to work, and since the invention of Uber, I can get anywhere I want without monthly car payments, auto insurance, car inspections, emission inspection, property taxes, and car maintenance. Yep, I don’t miss it at all. 

The thing with 72-month, 84-month loans, is the payments more than likely will out live the cheaply made car. So you’re paying for a car that you can’t afford to fix and can’t drive. Yuck!

I envy you.  I hate making those ins. pymts (they're huge), hate keeping up with warranty work and working out all the kinks & flaws, keeping up with which tags I gotta buy this month...pita.  Even parking waaaay out in a parking lot so no one bashes their door or shopping cart into mine is annoying.  I got one beater that has been 100% dependable (wrangler yj) and holds it's value...all else, meh.

"My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home"
Amex 19k
BB&T 10.5k
Capital One 11k
Citibank 11k
Comenity 5k
Discover 8.5k
Synchrony 49.7
Synovus 75k
EXP 720, EQ 744, TU 736
Message 23 of 32
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

I forgot about parking a long distance from store 😂🤣 or parking car at an angle and take up two spaces. Now those are the cars I wanted to deliberately key. 😂🤣. I didn’t, but wanted to.

Message 24 of 32
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Not this kid! lol
I refuse to pay over $225 a month for any vehicle. It's just my imaginary stopping point. Keeps me out of trouble.
I don't do extra warranties either. Waste of money IMHO.

I drive a 2012 KIA optima hybrid to work. And keep the spare in the garage, 2016 Honda Civic EX. Bought both new. Paid the Optima off back in 2013.
It's been a good car with no major issues.
I also live out in the boonies. Lol
And wouldn't have it any other way.
The price of peace and quiet is worth the commute, insurance and payment.

Once I finish paying off the Honda. I won't be buying any new vehicles for a very long time. I plan to drive them both until the wheels fall off.😂
The Honda hasn't seen 1000 miles in the last year. Still smells new inside.
The 3 year warranty will expire before I hit the mileage expiration of 36,000 miles.
Message 25 of 32
New Contributor

I always buy slightly used. Let the first owner take the hit. Last month, I bought a truck with only 39,000 miles on it for $24,000. It's in flawless condition and still has a warranty on the powertrain to 100,000. I still have the original window sticker from it. That truck was $51,000 new! So the guy who bought it new basically paid $27K (plus gas an oil changes) to drive a truck for 3 years? LOL. I also negotiatied by price and not payment. The dealer did ask "So... what are you lookin' to spend a month?". I literally said "Oh no, I know that game. Let's just talk about the out the door final price and I'll worry about my monthly payment later."

Message 26 of 32
Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Double post
Message 27 of 32
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@matts175
Exactly on the not shopping by payment!
That's how they get you!
I shop for a payment from my home.
What I mean by this. I figure out where I want to stay within a payment range. Find the vehicle I want within reason. Negotiate the price and pay with cash/ credit card the remaining balance that wasn't pre-financed.
Last three vehicles, not one of them had a payment over $215 a month.
I may have put $10 to $15k down to get it where I wanted it.
Message 28 of 32
Valued Contributor

Putting on 30k - 35k a year is a lot of time in a vehicle therefore, economy is out of the question.  50k - 60k is the average cost of and it’s a perpetual vehicle payment, new vehicle every five years.  Just part of the cost of doing business.

Personal Cards: Amex Gold, & Plat | Amex Delta Res | Amex Hilton | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR | Amex Plat
Message 29 of 32
Valued Contributor

So many people seriously don't understand what they actually "need" out of a car.

Yes you have to have some patience for repairs every now and again with an older car, but it beats having car payments in just about any scenario.

I have a 2007 VW GTI bought used and less than a year old. 6 year note paid off in early 2013. I've put $7k in maintenance and repairs into it since then, but over 6 years that comes out to $97/month. Just turned 120,000 and wouldn't flinch at driving it cross country.  

Just got my insurance bill . . . . $275 for 6 months!

Ch 7 Discharge May 2015
Discover/Target/NFCU CLOC/NFCU Cash Rewards/PenFed Power Cash Rewards/PenFed Pathfinder AMEX - $60k total revolving
EQ/EX/TU: FICO 8's Sept 2019: 696/676/670, 25% utilization, INQ's: 0/0/1
New approvals based on this data: Costco Anywhere Visa $5500, NFCU Platinum $25k
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.