cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Woman's Money "Disappeared" From Savings Account

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Established Contributor

Woman's Money "Disappeared" From Savings Account

Not cool. At all...

https://www.news10.com/news/national/91-year-old-woman-s-savings-disappeared-because-she-didn-t-use-...
Starting Score: EX 641 TU 631 EQ 669
Current Score: EX 714 TU 718 EQ 713 (EQ9 735)
Goal Scores: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Frequent Contributor

Re: Woman's Money "Disappeared" From Savings Account

Funny how that works... Oh, um, we did have it after all but just sent it to the state..... 

RIP: EECU PLOC | BBVA PLOC | Chase SP | Chase Amazon | Chase Freedom | WF Propel | Cap1 QS | AMEX Gold
Message 2 of 10
Regular Contributor

So bizarre. They couldn't have contacted the account holder in the months or weeks before the account went dormant to ask her to perform some action, so her money wouldn't be seized??? Ugh.  

Current Fico:
As of 4/2/18:

Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

wow, thats scary. I guess even doing one small deposit a year like $5 to keep it active just a CC we have to start doing now. crazy!

My rebuild worked for me, but won't necessarily work for you!
BK7 D/C- 08/2013
Message 4 of 10
Valued Contributor

In which case all could have been avoided with a simple $25 auto transfer from checking every month. 

However, wouldn't they first be obliged to send some type of correspondence to the actual account holder? Instead of assuming a person just abandoned $75K.

Message 5 of 10
Established Contributor

I have had an inactive account warning with CapitalOne for months (ooold savings account).
I'm thinking it wise to make a withdrawal or deposit.

Message 6 of 10
Moderator Emeritus

Moral to the story, banks are not our friends! They are in business to make money. Maybe our grand parents weren't wrong in stashing the funds in a mattress (just don't smoke in bed). Smiley Frustrated

Starting Score: 300
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Message 7 of 10
Frequent Contributor

@Dinosaur wrote:

Moral to the story, banks are not our friends! They are in business to make money. Maybe our grand parents weren't wrong in stashing the funds in a mattress (just don't smoke in bed). Smiley Frustrated

If the average person had even a modest amount of financial education, most banks would probably go out of business in favor of credit unions.  With the internet and cooperative alliances of CUs, there is really no advantage to banks.

Message 8 of 10
Established Contributor

according to some website I've just read,  even just loggin into the account online is enough activity to stop the "dormant" label. Mint auto logs into your accounts every X amount of time.

So, use mint (or similar), and never have a dormant account.

Message 9 of 10
Established Contributor

@knee
Some elderly may not be that tech savvy and also may just assume that because it's their money they can choose how often they feel the need to touch it

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.