Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zelle fraud is rising. And banks aren’t coming to the rescue

tag
crystal626
Regular Contributor

Re: Zelle fraud is rising. And banks aren’t coming to the rescue

@805orbust wrote:

I second @SweetCreditObsession position. I hate Zelle. I can't get the stupid thing to work and it took forever for the money to reach the recipient (a friend/business associate). Dude was looking at me like I was flim-flamming him. PayPal is the way to go... but NEVER keep a cash balance in there. Maybe a couple hundred or so. I've heard nightmare stories of them seizing funds for months or years with no warning...  they are not a bank and arent Subject to the rules/limitations on banks...

PayPal has been known to delay transactions too. I had been paying my rent with PayPal until one day they just decided to hold it until the following Monday. Called them and they told me that they just decided to wait for the ACH from my bank to clear before they sent the money. No recourse, no reasoning given, nothing. Worse, they couldn't cancel the transaction. It's a good thing my rent wasn't due right that moment and I still had four days. 

Message 11 of 14
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Why I refuse to use Zelle..  To many weird things I have read can happen.  Really only trust paypal/venmo for me personally if vendor say person/vendor says zelle I walk away and say thanks, but no thanks.

Same here. I don't and won't use Zelle.

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 1.5K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 12 of 14
Itgem679
Regular Contributor

That might be related to your institution's per transaction, daily, and monthly limits. I ran into this during the pandemic, when Ally had a very low Zelle per transaction limit ($500). I could send $500 instantly, but anything larger would take 3 days. Ally has since raised it back to their normal high limit -- $2,000 daily (or $5,000 with a 3 day lag). Which makes me wonder if they were seeing some fraud and had to put some protections in place.

Zelle daily limits tend to be in the $1,000 to $2,000 range for larger banks, but can be significantly lower for smaller banks or CUs, if they offer Zelle at all. The monthly cap is often only a couple times the daily limit, so it's easy to bump up against that as well; and new accounts are often even more restricted. By comparison, ACH limits tend to be much higher.

Unfortunately, I'm still trying to figure out Ally's Zelle delay. I had them for about a year and ended up closing my accounts with them because Zelle would always take days (even low amounts like $50-$300) and was never instant. My other accounts - USAA, WF - no issues at all.

Gardening until 2023. Current scores (11/2022): Ex: 757 Eq: 757 Tu: 757
CLs: (As of 12/2022)
First Tech World Mastercard: $10k
American Express: $1K
AAdvantage: $2.8K
Wells Fargo Platinum: $4.6K
Discover It (blue): $4.5K
Discover It (red): $4.5K
~6 other cards with limits under $2K
Auth'd user on 1 Capital One card.
All balances stay under 5%.
Message 13 of 14
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Itgem679 wrote:

That might be related to your institution's per transaction, daily, and monthly limits. I ran into this during the pandemic, when Ally had a very low Zelle per transaction limit ($500). I could send $500 instantly, but anything larger would take 3 days. Ally has since raised it back to their normal high limit -- $2,000 daily (or $5,000 with a 3 day lag). Which makes me wonder if they were seeing some fraud and had to put some protections in place.

Zelle daily limits tend to be in the $1,000 to $2,000 range for larger banks, but can be significantly lower for smaller banks or CUs, if they offer Zelle at all. The monthly cap is often only a couple times the daily limit, so it's easy to bump up against that as well; and new accounts are often even more restricted. By comparison, ACH limits tend to be much higher.

Unfortunately, I'm still trying to figure out Ally's Zelle delay. I had them for about a year and ended up closing my accounts with them because Zelle would always take days (even low amounts like $50-$300) and was never instant. My other accounts - USAA, WF - no issues at all.

It seems as if it is hit or miss , depending on which FI. (Bank)

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.