Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Curve Card" coming to US (from OMAAT)

tag
unsungivy
Established Contributor

"Curve Card" coming to US (from OMAAT)

https://onemileatatime.com/deals/curve-card-usa/

Haven't looked deeply into it, but looks like it a payment funnel for multiple cards, with no FTF and the ability to switch which card a charge was applied to for 30 days (perfect for dealing with a spouse who consistently uses the wrong card for a charge).

SD - Biz -
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Re: "Curve Card" coming to US (from OMAAT)

After reading that, I'm not sure I can see all that much benefit. Sure, for those who travel, it makes all of your credit cards No FTF, but in exchange you are offering another layer of personal data to g_d knows how many 3rd party collectors.  Even if the 1% bonus wasn't a short-term 6-mth bonus, and was a permanent fixture, not sure that would even be a good enough trade-off for what you're exposing yourself to.

Idk. Don't think I would buy into this...

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 2 of 10
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Speaking as someone who travels, to @Taurus22 point, I do like the ability to consolidate to one card for the 3 or 4 different types of cards I may use for a trip depending on where I'm going, how I'm getting there, where I'm staying and what car I'm driving or transport using when I'm there.  I heard it would be a debit card and then FrequentMiler reported it will in fact be a credit card.  I'm intrigued...but then I was also intrigued about the X1 card that hasn't seem to have gone anywhere.  

Message 3 of 10
GrainFan
New Contributor

I got pretty excited when I saw this card too, but the coding of transactions leaves me skeptical. From another source (can't remember which), they said that the transactions will appear as (*CURVE ______________) on the final payment card, so not sure if categories will track properly. 

Message 4 of 10
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@GrainFan wrote:

I got pretty excited when I saw this card too, but the coding of transactions leaves me skeptical. From another source (can't remember which), they said that the transactions will appear as (*CURVE ______________) on the final payment card, so not sure if categories will track properly. 

PayPal transactions appear with that sort of asterisk notation, but for me they've always coded properly.

SD - Biz -
Message 5 of 10
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I put my name in the wait list. Let us see what happens.

Message 6 of 10
ZackAttack
Established Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

I put my name in the wait list. Let us see what happens.

My waitlist number is 4,482. 

From what Curve said on twitter, the swipe transactions are carried over to what the company sets for the swipe (just like Paypal).

MSGCU Rewards | $8kDiscover Cash It | $10kAmex BCP | $15kBest Buy Visa | $20kChase Freedom Flex | $8kDCU Platinum | $8kNFCU Plat | $35kNFCU cashRewards | $24kAffinity FCU Cash Rewards | $7kAmazon Prime | 12.5kChase Unlimited | 16.4kUSAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex | 10kAmex Business Cash | 10k

Loans
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/22/2023 ($299/month)
Closed
Michigan Schools & Gov't CU Titanium 1/4/2019 - 10/2/2020
Ford Credit Car Loan 3-year 7/31/2018-6/6/2021
$1,500 Discover Card 10/2/2020 - 8/18/2021
$3,500 Citi DC 10/14/2020 - 12/11/2021
$8,000 DCU Personal Loan 5-year 5.99% 10/2/2020 - 4/30/2021
$8,000 NFCU CashRewards 1/2/2021 - 7/30/2022
$5,000 MSGCU Personal Loan 3-year 7.75% 4/22/2022 - 10/30/2022
Ford Credit Car Loan 2-year 6/7/2021 - 6/22/2023
Message 7 of 10
unsungivy
Established Contributor

Curve Card is finally in a live Beta for those top 100 spot folks. So yeah, it's finally becoming real! Seems like they haven't worked out the kinks with Visa yet, but are hoping to by the time they're "done with the live beta". So it's only Mastercard and Discover (& DIner's Club), which severely limits it's usefulness at least until Visa is added back in. I'm also keeping fingers crossed for AmEx down the road.

https://onemileatatime.com/deals/curve-card-usa/

https://frequentmiler.com/curve-is-here-and-its-real-it-wont-rule-them-all-but-itll-rule-player-2s-w...

SD - Biz -
Message 8 of 10
mrpuffrabbit
Valued Member

As an Expat in EU who has already worked with them, note that MCC codes are not always forwarded correctly.

Also, Curve is pretty notorius for having bad customer service, but they've been trying to improve very recently.

Sources:

New Curve Card: Not As Great As We Thought, Re-assigning Charges Doesn’t Retain Category Bonuses - V... 

Why doesn’t Curve forward all MCC codes properly? - Curve Community 

Feb 2022 F8 - EQ: 785 | EX: 780 | TU: 795
Curve Card misconceptions - facts/DPs and discussion
Message 9 of 10
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@mrpuffrabbit wrote:

As an Expat in EU who has already worked with them, note that MCC codes are not always forwarded correctly.

Oh, ouch ouch ouch!

SD - Biz -
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.