Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTC Amends Free Credit Reports Rule

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FTC Amends Free Credit Reports Rule

A lie is a lie and what these people are sending out is not my credit report therefore false advertising.

Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applaud the FTC's action.

The disinformation out there about credit and credit reports is truly staggering. When otherwise smart, intelligent, educated people are duped--and the FCRA and FDCPA are intended to protect the lowest common denominator in the human species--then there is definitely a problem.

As for the .com versus .gov issue, the government doesn't maintain your credit file nor does the government send you your free annual report. The government merely declares by law that it be made available to you in a very clear and unambiguous manner.

ACRDC is maintained by the Big Three, not the FTC, and as such I think it should remain a .com rather than a .gov

However, if it were a .gov, then one could make the very logical argument that why in the heck are only EQ, EX and TU available there? Where is Innovis and where are the myriad of §603(w) "nationwide specialty consumer reporting agency", aka the LKEs?

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Some-of-the-Lesser-Known-Evils/td-p/16946

They too are subject to §612, aka the requirement that you be given a free copy of your CRs every 12 months.

Message 22 of 26
Gnut
Established Member

I went to the FCR.com website just to see the notice but instead of the notice i was expecting i saw a different notice. It said something to the effect that due to federal regulations they are no longer allowed to give free credit reports so they are charging one dollar. I guess they decided not to keep it free so they wouldnt have to have the required links and disclosures on their website. They are some sneaky bastards because this doesnt put them in a negative light and it kind of makes them look good in a way because they do say they will donate the one dolllar to charity. With new rules come new ways to get around them. At least they tell u its not free and they are also saying they will enroll u in triple advantage but that you can cancel any time within the trial period.

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

HaahhhHHaaHaaAAh

Every one of these scammers have a new scam on their homr pages. Greed and hishonesty is over the top these days.

Message 24 of 26
Lel
Moderator Emeritus
Message 25 of 26
MattH
Senior Contributor

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/episodes/show_rundown.php?show_id=14

[On the air, this was preceded by a snippet from one of those TV ads where somebody sings F-R-E-E]

Bob Moon's final note...
There's a new law that Web sites offering free credit reports must now put a banner across the top of the page -- directing consumers to the only authorized source for those federally-mandated reports: which is AnnualCreditReport.com.

So it seems Experian, the credit-reporting company that runs FreeCreditReport.com has devised a way to avoid the banner.

It's now charging $1 for its report and giving it to charity.

The other catch is, they require you to sign up for their $14.95-a-month plan.
The company insists "there is no express or implied offer on its site for a free report" at FreeCreditReport.com.

Let me spell that out for you: F-R-E-E.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.