cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 year credit history without SSN, now i'm getting one, what should I do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 year credit history without SSN, now i'm getting one, what should I do?

Hello everyone and thank you for reading me.

I'm a french student here in the US and I have been trying to build my credit for over a year (ranging now from 710 to 730 depending of my monthly balance) and I have been approved for a visa, so I am now getting a SSN. 

I have 1 card at BOFA and 2 cards at AMEX, which are the only banks who granted me CCs with my passport.

1)Now that i have a fresh SSN i would like to ask what do you guys think i should do in order to transfer my credit history (based on my name/birthdate/address) to this new SSN? Is it a hard process and do you know how much time does it takes?

2)I am asking how much time because i'm very interested into applying for a capital one card (savor one ideally) but I also heard that they do hard pull and that this card is hard to get. If not the quicksilver is fine as well, any advices ? (maybe it is not the place to ask this one but...)

Thank you very much for your help!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 1 year credit history without SSN, now i'm getting one, what should I do?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone and thank you for reading me.

I'm a french student here in the US and I have been trying to build my credit for over a year (ranging now from 710 to 730 depending of my monthly balance) and I have been approved for a visa, so I am now getting a SSN. 

I have 1 card at BOFA and 2 cards at AMEX, which are the only banks who granted me CCs with my passport.

1)Now that i have a fresh SSN i would like to ask what do you guys think i should do in order to transfer my credit history (based on my name/birthdate/address) to this new SSN? Is it a hard process and do you know how much time does it takes?

2)I am asking how much time because i'm very interested into applying for a capital one card (savor one ideally) but I also heard that they do hard pull and that this card is hard to get. If not the quicksilver is fine as well, any advices ? (maybe it is not the place to ask this one but...)

Thank you very much for your help!

@Anonymous
Contact your credit card issuers by calling the number on your credit card and inform them that you now have a social security number.  They will add the number to your existing account(s) with them; then the social security number will also be updated when they do their monthly account updates with the credit bureaus.  Typically Amex and Bank of America report account updates on your Statement Close date, so depending on where you are in the current monthly reporting cycle it can take up to 30 days before your social security number is reflected in your credit reports.

Alternatively, you can go to the credit bureaus directly but its better to inform your lenders first since they have the ability to verify your social security number with the Social Security Administration.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous very clear! thank you very much!

Message 3 of 4
MrCreditInternational
Frequent Contributor

I did exactly that when I got my SSN. Contact BofA and Amex and your cards will be on your CR during the next month.

BTW, it takes few days for the CRA to update your file, so the process might take more than a month. Be careful not to apply before making sure that the cards are on your credit report.

Schwab Amex Platinum (NPSL); Amex Gold (NPSL); HH Aspire (31,700); Amex BBP (27,000); HSBC Premier WMC (18,000); USB Altitude Reserve (10,000); Chase Sapphire Preferred (5,800), Delta Platinum (5,000); Apple Card (4,750); USB Altitude Go (1,000)

Started collecting cards: Oct/2018
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.