cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

15 Point drop after one card over 50% but overall under 18% util, how to get points back?

tag
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Re: 15 Point drop after one card over 50% but overall under 18% util, how to get points back?

@Anonymous wrote:

That's totally up to you.  I'd suggest leaving it at a $0 balance and throwing it in your SD, giving it a swipe every 6 months or so to keep it alive. 

It sounds like if you have 10 out of 11 cards with balances that you should give that a little thought.  The first question is whether or not they all have balances because you're carrying balances on them, or are the balances just naturally reporting every month but you are indeed paying all of them in full?  If you're carrying balances, my suggestion would of course be to work on moving yourself from a Revolver to a Transactor where you're never paying any interest.  If you aren't carrying balances, my suggestion would be to slightly reconsider when/how you're paying your cards in full monthly if you'd like to see some FICO score gains.  By paying your full current balance instead of your full statement balance a couple of days before your statement period closes, you'd stand a greater chance of more of your cards reporting $0 balances, something that some of the FICO scoring models (especially the mortgage ones) really like to see.

They're all really small balances that I just forgot to PIF before the statement date. Honestly, at this point, I'm in no rush to apply for anything, so I don't really see any point in implementing the AZEO method. We're not ready to buy a house until next year, but this credit stuff still interests me for sure. I like seeing what kinds of actions results in a higher/lower score. I can easily pay off all the balances on my cards, I just need to remember to do it before the statement date. I have them all written down in my phone if I need a reminder. Synchrony, however, keeps reporting my balances at random. My PayPal, Amazon Store Card, and AMEX are all reporting balances under $40, but I've already paid those off, so we'll see what happens when they report! Thanks for your input! <3

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 21 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 15 Point drop after one card over 50% but overall under 18% util, how to get points back?

Right, there's no reason to implement AZEO currently if you aren't preparing for your (mortgage) application.  You could do it once in the meantime just to see the scoring benefit had on your mortgage scores.  Say it's 20 points.  Then (say) a year from now when you go to start preparing for your mortgage and you see your scores are at X, you can be pretty certain that within a month with the AZEO implementation you'll be at X+20.

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.