Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 civil judgments from the same place ?

tag
Isaiah2990
Contributor

2 civil judgments from the same place ?

Back in 2011 I was being an IDIOT and got evicted.. I went to court in April and the representative for the neighborhood did not show up so it was pretty much dismissed and I was told to pay the rent as soon as possible or I can be evicted. The following in May I moved to a new apartment and I was evicted out of the one I left. I am currently paying on it right now.. The 2 civil judgments are not showing up on any of my credit reports, but it shows up under judgments and liens on my background check from BeenVerified under liens and judgements ...Since I wasn't actually evicted the first time I went to court in April and it was dismissed does the judgment still need to be on there for the 1st time ? The judgement for May I understand..do employers look at civil judgments or just criminal background ? and also I plan on doing volunteer work over summer break for my college with the civil judgement mess up my chances ? I don't have a criminal record..

Starting Score: FAKO EQ 497 EX 516 TU 517 (4.28.12)
Current Score: FICO EQ 587 (9.29.13) TU (GECRB) 596 (2.19.13) EX (USAA) 482 (3.12.13)
Goal Score: 700 all across the board!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: 2 civil judgments from the same place ?

They can look at everything.  What they consider for employment is another matter.  What type of work, does the judgment have anything to do with the job you are looking at.

An eviction can be for anything depending on your state laws. 

Message 2 of 8
Isaiah2990
Contributor

I'm happy it's not on any of my credit reports. I'm currently a business student, and I know they will run my credit for jobs when I apply.. Since the civil judgements aren't showing ony credit reports, will it show up on my criminal background ?

Current Score: FICO EQ 587 (9.29.13) TU (GECRB) 596 (2.19.13) EX (USAA) 482 (3.12.13)
Message 3 of 8
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

No. Civil and criminal are two totally separate things. If a company is doing an employment background check then they individually set the standard of the type of information they want. I work in a position which requires a government clearance so I had to submit to an evaluation of my life history for the past 10+ years. The civil judgments could be easily discovered if they are in the jurisdiction in which you currently reside. I can go to the county court website and find civil judgments with nothing more than my name. As to what if any effect their discovery would have on employment that is up to the individual employer. They can be used in most jurisdictions to garnish wages for repayment.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 8
Isaiah2990
Contributor

Oo ok.. I noticed when I looked at both judgements the amount owed was not listed they both said unavailiable and listed the county court and court case number.. Could this possibly hurt my chances of getting an apartment in the long run even though it's not reporting on any of my credit reports ?

Message 5 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

No. Civil and criminal are two totally separate things. If a company is doing an employment background check then they individually set the standard of the type of information they want. I work in a position which requires a government clearance so I had to submit to an evaluation of my life history for the past 10+ years. The civil judgments could be easily discovered if they are in the jurisdiction in which you currently reside. I can go to the county court website and find civil judgments with nothing more than my name. As to what if any effect their discovery would have on employment that is up to the individual employer. They can be used in most jurisdictions to garnish wages for repayment.

I worked for the government also.  If they choose to get your entire credit file they can.  I had them bring up things that happened almost 20 years ago.

Message 6 of 8
Isaiah2990
Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

I worked for the government also.  If they choose to get your entire credit file they can.  I had them bring up things that happened almost 20 years ago.

Ehh.. I thought the SOL would only be 7 years, but  I guess depending on security clearance.. I don't plan on working for Uncle Sam, I just want a decent paying job after graduation.. and hopefully the judgements won't hold me back from obtaining one.

Message 7 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Isaiah2990 wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@HoldingOntoHope wrote:

Ehh.. I thought the SOL would only be 7 years, but  I guess depending on security clearance.. I don't plan on working for Uncle Sam, I just want a decent paying job after graduation.. and hopefully the judgements won't hold me back from obtaining one.

SOL,. so to speak, for reporting is 7 - 7.5 years.  Per the FCRA, under certain circumstances, your entire credit history can be asked for.  It is rare that a creditor and/or employeer will ask for that though.  And, yes, I worked for Uncle Sam and had a top clearance so that looked at everything and talked to everyone I ever knew.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.