cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$2800 fraudulent charge on Paypal Extras MC!! Please help!!!

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: $2800 fraudulent charge on Paypal Extras MC!! Please help!!!

OP, sorry you are in this situation. Can you clear up some uncertain points for us please?

Exactly when, what day, did Sync actually notate he was removed as AU?

What day did he make the CC charge to the attorney and was it with your physical card, or his AU card? Has the AU card been taken back from him?

Did you file a police report for the assault? 

Do you have an attorney you are discussing all theses issues with, someone qualified and local who knows who to talk to to get things like a restraining order enforced? 

While it it may seem like you can get good advice here, all it is will be vague anonymous guidelines. Your situation seems like it has about six angles to it. You really need a local attorney.

We all hope it works out well for you, but at this point that’s about all any of us can do here, hope.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 21 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the confusion. So, I removed him as an AU from all my accounts, including Paypal, on Sunday, Nov. 4th, while I was in the hospital from the assault. I took the card away from him several weeks prior to removing him and hid it. While I was in the hospital, he must have gone through all of my things and found the card. He charged the $2800 on Nov. 7th, with his AU card. I am not sure why his card was even able.to work. When I called Synchrony, they even confirmed that I had no AU on my account when the charge was made. I am filing charges for the assault. The detectives are waiting for my hospital records. Unfortunately, I am not able to afford an attorney because I suffered a traumatic brain injury due to the assault and I am unable to see. I have diplopia and can't drive or work until I recover.😥
Message 22 of 68
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I am so sorry this happened to you.  I hope you get this corrected very soon and I hope they throw his a$$ in jail.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 23 of 68
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery. You can reach out to some domestic abuse groups for legal assistance in your situation. There are attorneys that will take your case pro bono.

Message 24 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey OP, I work in my local credit unions fraud/dispute department. If what you are saying is true then Synchrony has 10 days to credit your account from the day you reported the fraud. They will then send a chargeback to the attorney for the unauthorized/fraudulent charge. Then it’s up to the attorney to fight the claim and represent the chargeback or accept it and go after that peice of trash who assaulted you. They may or may not send out paperwork(like an affidavit) for you to fill and sign off on saying that you did not participate in the charge. It sounds like you have rights under MasterCards 0% liability. But good luck with the case and on your recovery.
Message 25 of 68
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Based on your dates, the AU card shouldn't even have gone through. Did he take your primary card instead? 

[2/2019]
Message 26 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the advice! You guys have been most helpful and I really appreciate the help.
Message 27 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, there is no way he had my primary card. I had it with me in the hospital and it's still in my wallet. I used it to get the phone number to call and remove him as AU on the 4th, while I was still in the hospital. I honestly have no clue why his AU card was able to work. It makes no sense
Message 28 of 68
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
No, there is no way he had my primary card. I had it with me in the hospital and it's still in my wallet. I used it to get the phone number to call and remove him as AU on the 4th, while I was still in the hospital. I honestly have no clue why his AU card was able to work. It makes no sense

I don't mean to pry, but just double-checking, because like you said, it makes no sense why the AU card would work. Are you sure the card you have in your wallet is yours? You said you're having vision issues, so could it be that you have his card and he has yours? Or did Synchrony specifically say that the $2800 was charged through the AU? 

Reason I'm asking is because if he went through your stuff and took YOUR primary card, the investigator should be able to prosecute that easily (with evidence, which should be easy to get). If he simply took his own card back, that would make it slightly harder to prosecute.

Of course, the biggest issue is the assault. That should be the focus of any prosecution anyway. Regardless, stay safe! 

[2/2019]
Message 29 of 68
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Is the card number the same on AU and primary?  The attorney might have taken the card info over the phone, and he may have used the OPs name (hence the question as to did Sync specify the AU was used?)

Message 30 of 68
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.