Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 hits by my apartment management

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

3 hits by my apartment management

I recently gave permission to an apartment complex to check my credit in order to move in there. The management company ran my credit three times on three different days and it shows up on Experian as "hard" checks! What recourse do I have and how do I go about getting it removed?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 3 hits by my apartment management

There's no recourse if you gave permission. However, you probably could contact them and ask for the inquiries to be removed.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

There's no recourse if you gave permission. However, you probably could contact them and ask for the inquiries to be removed.

For three separate INQs from the same CRA, wouldn't it have to be three separate credit transactions initiated by the consumer?

Message 3 of 6
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@llecs wrote:

For three separate INQs from the same CRA, wouldn't it have to be three separate credit transactions initiated by the consumer?

I agree, 3 different pulls 3 days in a row seems excessive. I would also approach the complex and ask why the same report was pulled 3 different times.

Message 4 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@JoeBJay20 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@llecs wrote:

I agree, 3 different pulls 3 days in a row seems excessive. I would also approach the complex and ask why the same report was pulled 3 different times.

Ditto to being excessive. I'd call them and ask them to remove it. But I don't think it's illegal.

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree.

FCRA 604 (a) (3)(F)(i) is the legal basis for them doing a credit inquiry.

It states that each such  inquiry must be for the provision of a  consumer report "in connection with a business transaction initiated by the consumer."  That implies one authorization, one permissable pull.   A subsequent authorty for a permissable pull was not authorized by a subsequent business transaction by you.

Yeah, I know, probably legal BS, but that is really all you have to work with.

First, contact the apartment manangement, and ask them for a written letter of deletion of posting of all inquires beyond the first.  If they give you the 'ole shuck and jive, tell them that the later pulls were impermissable pulls under FCRA 604(a)(3)(F)(i), and that if you dont receive immediate deletion, you will file a complaint with both the local BBB, your state Attorney General (AG),  and/or the Federal Trade Commission.  Of course, these demands are almost meaningless to you, because by the time you get any effective reponse from any of these administrative agencies, the one year impact of these inquiries will be long gone.

That is all I can suggest.  Legal bluster!  By the time is all clears any disputes, complaints, and other actions you can take, it wont matter.  So if you want it removed ASAP, hit them with the ASAP CRAP.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.