Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 year payoff on statement

tag
williamachamberlain
Valued Member

3 year payoff on statement

Does this really work? Ya know the pay this amount for 3 years and not use the card and save x amounts of dollars in interest.

My Wallet: NFCU CR Visa 25K, NFCU GR Visa 23K, NFCU Platinum 16K, PenFed PCR 26k, PenFed PR 18K, USAA Sig Visa 23K, USAA Amex 24K, Amex Hilton 9K, Amex Gold NPSL, BOA Platinum Plus MC 26K, BOA TR Visa 30K, Chase Amazon Visa 8K
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: 3 year payoff on statement

Depends on what the balance/APR is and making min payments. I got new appliances for the house when the fridge just quit. It posted before I could pay it and saw 13 yrs if I only made the mins. Showed 89% usage. Smiley Mad But it went back to zippo the next month.

Message 2 of 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@williamachamberlain wrote:

Does this really work? Ya know the pay this amount for 3 years and not use the card and save x amounts of dollars in interest.

If you're referring to promotional APR offers then yes, they would work as indicated on your statement.  The things to keep in mind are 1) do not miss any payments as this will typically invalidate your promotional rate and trigger a penalty rate and 2) be aware of the impact on your utilization, i.e. maxing a card will have negative FICO impact.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 4
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@williamachamberlain wrote:

Well, it works but it's not there to show you when to pay it off, it's there to compare worst case scenario - making only minimum payments, vs worse one - somewhat above minimum payment. 

If you go by three year pay off at regular Apr, you're still bleeding money. 

So, if you're looking to get rid of debt, and are in position to apply for a new card with lengthy BT period, do that. Some offer 21 month BT, so add a few bucks to what "three year pay off " shows and be debt free in two years while not paying interest 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.