Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30 day late FICO reality

tag
remboman
Established Member

30 day late FICO reality

This is a cautionary tale. Received an email yesterday from myfico.com about a precipitous drop in FICO score due to change in status of an account. Logged in - saw it was Audi payment (VWFS) 30 day late. So went online, saw it indeed had not been paid and subsequently paid it. The checking account that is in their system used for payments had between $47K and $637K in it for the entire duration of the 31 days in which the payment was not made, so financial duress had nothing to do with the late. I have been travelling extensively on business and my wife, who receives snail mail would normally have noticed something from Audi and said - "hey did you pay this",  but she's recently been diagnosed with a serious health issue and is really just struggling to get through each day. Searched my email and NO notification from Audi FS warning of non-payment. No phone call to my cell listed in their system either.  In any case, called VWFS and they stated their policy is NO EXCEPTIONS EVER for any circumstance, which I understand is their prerogative under CRA.  The REALITY is that I have never been in a better financial position in my life, the risk of default has never been lower.  With a BS in Finance from an accredited university and 20+ years experience owning a business, I understand risk assessment and I have a good understaning of the FICO algo. I learned today that FICO has some fatal flaws that render it an ineffective risk assessment tool in some cases (ie my son, in college, now has a significantly higher FICO score than I, yet he is a far greater risk for default). So the lesson is, one 30 day late can have INCREDIBLY HUGE impacts on your life due to it not accurately reflecting the real risk. It can cost you tens of thousands of dollars, keep you in your current house for years more than you had planned, etc.  I have no need for additional credit as I move toward retirement other than relocation.  Since I will be making over $400,000 this year and for the next few years based on existing contracts, we planned to sell our house in CA and move to a state with no or low state income tax. Now that is not possible as we will not qualify for a home loan at a decent rate with our new FICO, so we will be paying the CA income tax for at least the next 2-3 years as the "baddie" recedes.  Our inaccurate FICO score does help the big lenders however, as FICO provides them with the opportunity to realize a higher rate of return than the ACTUAL RISK would warrant.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 30 day late FICO reality

In calling you are dealing with a clerk that doesn't make a lot of money and has no appreciation for you and your business. You may wish to write to a member of the Board of Directors at their normal place of business. I have found in the past that a BoD member is a bit more lenient and understanding. It's worth a shot.

Message 2 of 26
remboman
Established Member

Thanks for the advice, corpcrmgr.  I had planned on contacting VP's in both finance and marketing for AudiUSA, as it would seem to be in the best interest of both to rectify.

1. Marketing obviously wants to retain customers, and the inflexibility of Finance can negatively impact customer retention.

2. Finance (risk assessment) - as professionals in the risk assessment industry, should want FICO scores to accurately reflect risk. So they should have the ability to correct risk assessment errors that arise due to extenuating circumstances unrelated to financial duress.

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the VP level you do stand a better chance then with a CSR.  Good luck and please post the outcome.

Message 4 of 26
EW800
Valued Contributor

So sorry to hear of this.  Please so update us via this thread as to what happens.  

I agree with you that FICO scoring and assessment of risk is not perfect.  My college age daughter has FICO scores in the 825-840 range, however big picture I am sure she is a bigger risk that I am, as she is currently not living too far above paycheck to paycheck.  She has learned this credit stuff well, therefore has very minimal debt and fully knows to keep Util well under 10%, however I am sure she, just like your son as you mentioned, is probably at higher risk of default than I am.  

Looking forward to hearing how this works out as you move up the corporate ladder for support! 

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 5 of 26
remboman
Established Member

Thanks EW800. It would seem to me that it would also be in the best interest of Fair Isaac and its institutional shareholders to provide customers with the most accurate risk assessment analytics so that their customers can take advantage of opportunities to "connect decisions" and pursue/approve purchases/credit, etc. where warranted.  There seems to be an opportunity for lenders to capitalize on an untapped "low-risk, low-FICO score" market.  I'm sure that my situation is not unique, as over a 7-yr period, our houselhold has made several hundred monthly payments. I know my own company has received late payments from dozens of Fortune 500 customers over the years as invoices get lost, approval signatures get delayed, AP depts get backlogged, but our company is smart enough to assess whether or not those lates infer real risk or a one-time paperwork error, vacation, etc. And we have retained clients after single lates and made hundreds of thousands off of their businesses. Why does Fair Isaac not seem interested in proactively providing its customers with those same opportunities? Is this a niche market opportunity for really good data analysts?

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

If business credit scoring was calculated the same as an individual score is, then few businesses would have credit. In my time I have worked for large corporations and small companies; I have witnessed the biggest companies paying very slow. Interest charged is laughed at by these same coprporations.

Yes, remboman is correct. There is money to be made off of these corporations. 

Message 7 of 26
iced
Valued Contributor

@rembomanwrote:

This is a cautionary tale. Received an email yesterday from myfico.com about a precipitous drop in FICO score due to change in status of an account. Logged in - saw it was Audi payment (VWFS) 30 day late. So went online, saw it indeed had not been paid and subsequently paid it. The checking account that is in their system used for payments had between $47K and $637K in it for the entire duration of the 31 days in which the payment was not made, so financial duress had nothing to do with the late. I have been travelling extensively on business and my wife, who receives snail mail would normally have noticed something from Audi and said - "hey did you pay this",  but she's recently been diagnosed with a serious health issue and is really just struggling to get through each day. Searched my email and NO notification from Audi FS warning of non-payment. No phone call to my cell listed in their system either.  In any case, called VWFS and they stated their policy is NO EXCEPTIONS EVER for any circumstance, which I understand is their prerogative under CRA.  The REALITY is that I have never been in a better financial position in my life, the risk of default has never been lower.  With a BS in Finance from an accredited university and 20+ years experience owning a business, I understand risk assessment and I have a good understaning of the FICO algo. I learned today that FICO has some fatal flaws that render it an ineffective risk assessment tool in some cases (ie my son, in college, now has a significantly higher FICO score than I, yet he is a far greater risk for default). So the lesson is, one 30 day late can have INCREDIBLY HUGE impacts on your life due to it not accurately reflecting the real risk. It can cost you tens of thousands of dollars, keep you in your current house for years more than you had planned, etc.  I have no need for additional credit as I move toward retirement other than relocation.  Since I will be making over $400,000 this year and for the next few years based on existing contracts, we planned to sell our house in CA and move to a state with no or low state income tax. Now that is not possible as we will not qualify for a home loan at a decent rate with our new FICO, so we will be paying the CA income tax for at least the next 2-3 years as the "baddie" recedes.  Our inaccurate FICO score does help the big lenders however, as FICO provides them with the opportunity to realize a higher rate of return than the ACTUAL RISK would warrant.

The intent of FICO is to assess credit risk, not financial health. Someone can have all the money in the world, but if they do not pay their debts, they're a credit risk. You missed a payment, and it arrived at the conclusion that you do not always pay your debts on time and dropped your score as a result.

The algorithm is indifferent about the human aspects of why payments are missed, as it should be. There's checks and balances in a human form, in this case by means of someone from VWFS who can pull back the late from your report should they deem the reason it was missed exceptional and very unlikely to happen again.

The impact of a single 30-day late has also been a bit overstated. Many people are able to get the best interest rates and continue with their lives just fine with a 30 day late or worse. If a single 30-day late was enough to deny you good rates or a mortgage altogether, I would contend you didn't have an excellent report in the first place and the 30-day was the metaphorical straw that broke the camel's back.

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone recently posted that missing a payment is like cheating once on your special someone. The odds are that you will cheat again. Your SS no longer trusts you.

I like the analogy of a baseball player. He can hit .342 and be the highest paid player in MLB, but he is not going to get a hit everytime. Not even every two times. Maybe if he gets into a slump, not every three times. Or even worse, one out of every four times. Yet he is loved and admired. He continues to make the big dollars. The team loves him. The fans love him.

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about the 30 day late.  FICO is just a score based on your credit history it does not take into account income or savings.  The good thing is that banks care more than FICO scores when qualifying for credit. I have qualified for cards with much lower scores than others who got declined.  I have high income and zero debt.   No mortgage, no car payment, no credit card debt.  

As how likely you are to  default.  Everyone who has debt is a risk to default.  Multi-million dollar homes get foreclosed on.   If you don't want to pay higher mortgage rate you can always rent. Probably a good market to rent in anyway.   In a year your score probably will probably be back up.  Who knows how high mortgage rates will be though.  

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.