cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$37,000 in credit card debt, how to dig out?

tag
Kirill23
New Visitor

$37,000 in credit card debt, how to dig out?

$37,000k in credit and $10,000 in unsecured medical loan.

Not late on any payments ever. APRs are good. Im at point now though that im getting declined for cards due to d/i ratio.

I net pay 6300/ month.

No student loans, mortgage $1,000. Car payment $600.

Used for medical procedures (IVF)
$9.8k USAA MC
$5.5k Chase Aafes
$4.8k Chase Sapphire Preferred
$4.3k Citi Diamond Preferred
$2.0k GM
$4.0k 5/3
$2.0k wf

Non medical used
$4.3k bluenile
$1.8k best buy

Unfortunately i had to use cards to pay for ivf bills.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: $37,000 in credit card debt, how to dig out?

It sounds like you are doing well already.  Paying $6300 a month should pay off your debt in less than a year.

You have no late payments and good interest rates, so just keep it up and wait it out.  Just stop making big charges on your cards.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 11
Kirill23
New Visitor

Sorry i meant i take home $6300/month after taxes. Not pay towards cc.
Message 3 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Might be a good idea to consolidate to a personal loan. Question: are you going to continue procedures? Is that why you want to apply for new cards?

care credit may be a good option...
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 11
HiLine
Blogger

Like webhopper said, you should consider opening a personal loan. Otherwise, opening a Chase Slate or any other card that's offering 0% on balance transfers for at least a year will be a good alternative solution.

Message 5 of 11
Kirill23
New Visitor

No more procedures. In gods grande acheme of irony, we conceived naturally.
Message 6 of 11
boomhower
Valued Contributor

If you can take out a personal loan for a lower APR that would be a good option.  You didn't mention limits but if they are close to maxed you FICO score is getting hammered and that will be a big impediment to obtaining a signature loan.  Many credit unions offer debt consolidation loans that may be a bit more lenient with the maxed out cards but otherwise clean credit.  With a local CU  you can also talk face to face with a LO and explain the situation.  Your is a lot different than someone who just lived beyond their means. Good luck!

Message 7 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on your upcoming baby!
I agree with boomhower... always great suggestions!

Definately a personal loan will help you dig out. Do you have access to a 401k loan? If so; use a 401k loan to pay off debt; then apply for a personal loan to pay off the 401k loan after all of your balances have updated. I don't recommend a long term 401k loan for anything other than real estate purchase but if you have access to one it can be a nice short term way to raise scores so that you get a great rate on either a new card with 0% interest or a new personal loan at a great rate.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 11
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

If zero % consolidation is not an option, I would list them smallest balance down to highest (regardless of interest).  Pay minimum on all but the first on the list, hammering it out with avengence.  Once it is paid off, carry that former minimum balance and tack it onto the next one in line.  Hammer that out with avengence and tack that former minimum onto the next.  and so on and so forth.  Otherwise known as a debt snowball.  This method also doubles as a financial behavior modification rather than interest mathmatics.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 9 of 11
Nyru
Valued Member

I was in a similiar situation, less debt, but I also net much less than you. I didn't have to consolidate, although that may be a proper option for you. Give yourself a realistic goal and live by this mantra: NUKE MY CREDIT CARDS. Start with the highest APR and work down the list. Know that it will be a bit a journey and it will take a lot of discipline. 

Starting Score (2/15/13): EX (fako) 583// EQ FICO 634// TU FICO 658
Current Score (5/27/14): EX FICO 719// EQ FICO 742// TU FICO 729
Goal Scores: 740 on all.
CSP- 10K, United mileage explorer- 9k, Freedom- 5k, Barclays Arrival+ W.E.- 5k, Nordstrom- 6k, Chase Hyatt- 5k, Discover it- 5k, Slate- 4.5k, Amex Blue Cash- 1k.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.