Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40 yrs old & 1 CC(!)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 40 yrs old & 1 CC(!)

@Girlzilla88  Haha, so my CL is $3,700. Unfortunately there's no way I can spend anywhere near that (I don't have that coming in. I've been waiting for unemployment for 13 weeks :'( Yes, FL unemployment sucks).

If I had the cash to spend, and needed something that was almost my CL, then I would. But again, I only spend if I have the cash to pay the CC bill.

Sorry for my slow brain, but what do you mean you add a small amount after you pay that off (I think that's what I'm doing currently, but want to be sure I'm doing it Smiley Very Happy )?

For instance, let's say my electric bill is $150. I use the CC, then I'd pay $75 one day toward my balance, $70 another day before my billmis due. I'd leave $5 to 'carry over' as my statement cycles (it cycles the 21st of the month, so on the 24th, I usually pay off that last $5). Is that a good approach?

I think you're saying your approach is to pay in a few payments before due date, then make a small purchase afterward so it reports.

I think we're basically doing the same thing but in 2 diff ways Smiley Very Happy

Message 21 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 40 yrs old & 1 CC(!) Need advice

@AllZero  okay, so dumb question from me- on the pre-qual page, how do they know who I am from a hole in the wall if I don't sign in at all?

Like how are they gauging me enough, to tell me if I pre-qualify..if I'm not bringing any credentials or history to the table (or am I not understanding and I *would* need to sign in or fill out a short form)?

Message 22 of 76
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous OK gotcha so if going by a CL of 3700 you should try your best to stay below 85% anything 85% and above is considered "maxed" but if you spend around 50 or so I think that would still be good and then pay down all the way to 0, then add anything 296 and below to report to statement IF you would be using this for the AZ method as 296 would keep you at 8% but 40 would be ok too I don't believe they would round that down to 0 judging by the way you said you put small amount.     So the way you exampled it you can leave that 5, or you can pay it all the way off as long as you add something 5, 10, 15, even 40 before statement hits since 40 is still so low of 3700.    Smiley Very Happy     But yes you are correct either way works fine just to me paying it to 0, then adding shows you paid all that was put so it just makes my OCD feel happy and I see good results based from that ^^

Message 23 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@AllZero  okay, so dumb question from me- on the pre-qual page, how do they know who I am from a hole in the wall if I don't sign in at all?

Like how are they gauging me enough, to tell me if I pre-qualify..if I'm not bringing any credentials or history to the table (or am I not understanding and I *would* need to sign in or fill out a short form)?

They know who you are from the personal information you provide on the pre-qualification page; including the last four digits of your social security number.

When you were an AU on the Amex card, did you have the ability to log in to Amex's website?

Message 24 of 76
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous    Another side note is if you are super comfortable with the 3700 and don't care if it even went up a penny more lol then you don't have to worry about heavy heavy spend on it.     Honestly you could spend 29% and below and still be ok as far as Usage is concerned.  ^^

Message 25 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Girlzilla88

I hear ya with the OCD! I think the reason I leave a minute amount left over when the statement cycles is bec I'm not sure I'll remember (or even have a need) to purchase something small. I have SO much on my plate as a now-single parent that I don't want to forget/stress (to add to the bazillion other stressors) to make a small purchase.

When I leave $20 or less- over as the statement cycles (btw the minimum payment it definitely paid long before it's due), and I then pay that as soon as the new cycle starts, is that bad? Does that affect anything negatively? 

My next question would be- if I make sure to leave about 8% of my cred util ratio (is that abbreviated at CUR? Just trying to get my terms hammered out 😂 )  as my statement cycles, will that bring my FICO up? Is my FICO barely budging now because I'm only leaving about 1% as I cycle?

Message 26 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  

Ah. Thank you. Now I understand.

Do they ask for full socials on the PQ page? I'm wary of giving out toouch personal info online.

As for the Amex login when I was an AU, I never had a need to login. I just sent payment directly to my relative for what I spent (so never asked him for the login).

I did once call Amex directly with a question about my card and they were able to help. 

Message 27 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Girlzilla88  You know, that's a good question. I don't have a GIANT need for the CL to go up, that being said 1- I'd like it to be bigger for emergencies and 2- because as a human being, it definitely helps me feel like I'm a more responsible adult in a way if I was responsibly using my CCs and also kept getting a CL increase. 

I guess it's the need for my ego to feel like it's going something right? Smiley Very Happy

Or just the natural progression of things to see that I can maintain this adulting-stuff as my CL increase Smiley Very Happy

(even if I don't use it all).

Hmmm, does your CL decrease if you don't use anywhere near the limit after a while?? Or if they see you're responsible even with not utilizing even half your CL..they'll still increase it over time?

Message 28 of 76
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous    It is not Bad to keep a small amount into your next months bill, if you max it out and stay maxed out that is bad for sure.     If you want your FICO to up and up and away lol 3 cards is a sweet spot and one installment like an auto or home and you can use the AZEO method on your three cards but honestly in all honesty 700 and up is a good place and most places consider 750 and up is 'gold' you don't have to be 800+ to be considered Excellent to a lot of places and 700 and up will still get you great deals/rates too ^^.     

Message 29 of 76
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous     Here is some food for thought for you, you can open a couple cards for different uses since you have 1 main one, you can open (down the road) one for maybe Medical use and one for maybe Mechanical or Home Improvement or something whatever you think will aid you more in the long haul.      And then start building those three here is an example on Chase for instance they had a LOT of customers that used lower amounts like a couple hundred on 25k limits etc and they knocked it down to 10k some below that even.     But in some cases a call back to have it placed back to the original limit but that is up to them so just food for thought another known for CLD or closures is Synchrony.   Smiley Very Happy    Me I started thinking 3 would be enough, but then once I got the hang of it and learn more and more and more I have 4 or 5 I am shooting for soon before/around my next big purchase next year XD     In the words of the great Jim Carrey  "Somebody Stop ME"  XD

Message 30 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.