Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

40 yrs old & 1 CC(!)

tag
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

Re: 40 yrs old & 1 CC(!)

@Anonymous , the BCE 3% grocery cash back only applies at places that code as supermarkets. Some of the stores do not code that way. I that case it's a 1% on any other purchase cash back card. Cards with more than 1% are available. My daily driver is Citi Double Cash a 2% cash back card for any purchases. It's MasterCard so will not help at Costco. 

Th community is very helpful. Many or probably most know more than I do about card offerings. I'm a transactor as you are. Chase Freedom Unlimited is a 1.5% cash back card on all purcases. Capital One Quickslver is too. Quicksilver is a Visa. I think  FU is too but please verify.

Chase Freedom has 5% bonus quarters. This is the grocery quarter. It's Visa.

You are doing very well. It's more comfortable to have one card that you manage easily. 

Good luck in your card search!

Message 31 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

@Anonymous     Here is some food for thought for you, you can open a couple cards for different uses since you have 1 main one, you can open (down the road) one for maybe Medical use and one for maybe Mechanical or Home Improvement or something whatever you think will aid you more in the long haul.      And then start building those three here is an example on Chase for instance they had a LOT of customers that used lower amounts like a couple hundred on 25k limits etc and they knocked it down to 10k some below that even.     But in some cases a call back to have it placed back to the original limit but that is up to them so just food for thought another known for CLD or closures is Synchrony.   Smiley Very Happy    Me I started thinking 3 would be enough, but then once I got the hang of it and learn more and more and more I have 4 or 5 I am shooting for soon before/around my next big purchase next year XD     In the words of the great Jim Carrey  "Somebody Stop ME"  XD

I hear ya on that thought process. I'm going to try to keeping it super simple right now, maybe get  the BOA cash rewards or BCE and see how juggling 2 cards goes. If its not too stressful with keeping track of that (and everything else in my plate), then possibly open up a third.

I have 1 CC, 2 student loans, and car lease right now (actually, I realized I have an Cap One card my mom decided to open a while back, to help me..but she didn't ask. She'll spend $5 on it and pay it. She meant well, but yeah..not something I'm happy about but it's after the fact. I wonder if that reports as zero every month or is messing anything up..hmm).

Alternatively, maybe I can apply for both BOA cash rewards & BCE at once, not sure which bureaus they pull from (if the same one, I assume I apply on the same day so only 1 hard pull?).

Ps- for some reason I can't give your posts kudos! Not sure why :/

Message 32 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know that some don't code as supermarkets. Is there a list that can tell me what does/n't code as that?

Think I'd qualify for the Citi Double Cash or  Chase Freedom (720 TU)? Is there an annual fee (I need with $0 annual :/ )? I can use to pay for car insurance, non-Costco groceries etc.

Message 33 of 76
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

@Anonymous     Here is some food for thought for you, you can open a couple cards for different uses since you have 1 main one, you can open (down the road) one for maybe Medical use and one for maybe Mechanical or Home Improvement or something whatever you think will aid you more in the long haul.      And then start building those three here is an example on Chase for instance they had a LOT of customers that used lower amounts like a couple hundred on 25k limits etc and they knocked it down to 10k some below that even.     But in some cases a call back to have it placed back to the original limit but that is up to them so just food for thought another known for CLD or closures is Synchrony.   Smiley Very Happy    Me I started thinking 3 would be enough, but then once I got the hang of it and learn more and more and more I have 4 or 5 I am shooting for soon before/around my next big purchase next year XD     In the words of the great Jim Carrey  "Somebody Stop ME"  XD

I hear ya on that thought process. I'm going to try to keeping it super simple right now, maybe get  the BOA cash rewards or BCE and see how juggling 2 cards goes. If its not too stressful with keeping track of that (and everything else in my plate), then possibly open up a third.

I have 1 CC, 2 student loans, and car lease right now (actually, I realized I have an Cap One card my mom decided to open a while back, to help me..but she didn't ask. She'll spend $5 on it and pay it. She meant well, but yeah..not something I'm happy about but it's after the fact. I wonder if that reports as zero every month or is messing anything up..hmm).

Alternatively, maybe I can apply for both BOA cash rewards & BCE at once, not sure which bureaus they pull from (if the same one, I assume I apply on the same day so only 1 hard pull?).

Ps- for some reason I can't give your posts kudos! Not sure why :/

I would personally go for BOA cash rewards your already preselceted with a set APR. BOA and AMEX both pull from EX. BOA cash rewards is an excellent card.

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 34 of 76
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good to know that some don't code as supermarkets. Is there a list that can tell me what does/n't code as that?

Think I'd qualify for the Citi Double Cash or  Chase Freedom (720 TU)? Is there an annual fee (I need with $0 annual :/ )? I can use to pay for car insurance, non-Costco groceries etc.

Double Cash and Freedom have no AF. BCE has a 6k annual ceiling for the 3% grocery cash back. Once you exceed that it's a 1% card for grocery. Freedom and Discover have a $1500 ceiling per quarter for the 5% rate. I have about $27 and change left for this quarter on Freedom. BCE will be back in rotation for my next real trip for grocery. Maybe some cookies or ice cream for the remainder on Freedom. 

I'm not a credit score guru. Many people here know almost everything on that topic.They will help when they read your post. 720 sounds like an ok score to me but I don't approve cards. I don't want to give bad info. 

I had a different Citi card that was switched to Double Cash at my request. That's PC here for product change. 

I use cash back cards but I'm not religious about keeping up with new offerings. I have a few cards that work for me. I'm not really interested in more unless they send someone to clean my house as a reward.  lol

Message 35 of 76
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just checked at nerdwallet site. They indictact a score of 720 or higher for DC and 680 or higher for the BOA offering. Looks like you're good to go if that info is reliable. 

Message 36 of 76
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

If you're looking for a card to use at Costco, BoA Rewards is a good card as it gives 2% at wholesale clubs and it's Visa. My file was pretty thin when I was approved for my BoA AAA Rewards Visa (which also gives 2% at wholesale clubs), so I'm thinking you have a good chance with BoA.

While on the topic, your scores are optimized by having at least 3 bank credit cards. Discover counts as one, BoA would bring you to two so you might consider one more in your line up. Amex BCE or Cash Magnet would be a great choice as well.

If you want to jump through the hoops to join a credit union, look up the thread on AOD's 3% back Visa. They seem to be mostly sensitive to debt ratio, which you sound like you have no issues with. Having 2 years of history with Discover may be enough to get you in the door with them and you'd have a flat 3% cash back on *everything*.

Message 37 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My small dilemma is that places like Costco don't take Discover, only Visa. I'd like cashback when shopping there for groceries 1x month. Is the BOA Cash Rewards worth it? I got a pop-up on my BOA debit account I was pre-selected.

Go straight for the Citi Costco Anywhere Visa card! 4% back on gas, 3% on restaurants, 2% on Costco purchases, 1% everywhere else. Plus, Citi extends the warranty on electronics and appliances an extra 2 years above Costco's already extended warranty!

You'll get approved. I've seen scores 30 points lower than yours get approved for that card, but that was also when they were being generous before the pandemic.

That's my favorite card. I started with a $6500 limit (Visa Signature) and got 2 soft-pull (SP) CLIs for $2500 each over the course of 1 year.

I had no revolving credit history whatsoever when I applied for that card 1 year and 6 months ago!

Message 38 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Harvey26  Thank you for that jnfo and for the reassure that BOA Cash Rewards is good!

Message 39 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChargedUp Ty. I need to use as little brainspace for keeping track of CCs right, as I can Smiley Very Happy (while still being responsible about using them and slowly building credit).

I'm not sure if I have the energy or headspace to jump through hoops witha credit union right now, but I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future, for 3% back.

I wonder if any USAA cards are good? I've had car insurance with them for a few yrs and a tiiiinnnnyyy (25 bucks) savings account (and if USAA has good ones, and I qualify- does that mean I can one of the Navy cards? Totally clueless).

Message 40 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.