Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50+ point spread across 3 bureaus?!?

tag
FN
Established Member

50+ point spread across 3 bureaus?!?

I've had the score-alert thing going on Equifax for the past year plus and dutifully each month the service comes back with a score in the 700-710 range.  Then today, for kicks, I got a report (through MyFICO) for the other two services.  So the three reports on the same day gave me:

Equifax - 708
Experian - 714
TransUnion - 760

That seems like quite a spread to me.  Since you never know which service someone will use, what to do about this?  Is the spread normally this large?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Re: 50+ point spread across 3 bureaus?!?

Remember not all creditors report to all 3 bureaus. That, and the fact the 3 bureaus each use different scoring models, can easily account for the 52-point swing.  Before applying for a card, or a loan, ask the creditor which report they pull.  
New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 2 of 12
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

FN wrote:
I've had the score-alert thing going on Equifax for the past year plus and dutifully each month the service comes back with a score in the 700-710 range.  Then today, for kicks, I got a report (through MyFICO) for the other two services.  So the three reports on the same day gave me:

Equifax - 708
Experian - 714
TransUnion - 760

That seems like quite a spread to me.  Since you never know which service someone will use, what to do about this?  Is the spread normally this large?

Not a really big spread - I have suffered worse!

My EX is currently more than 50 points below my others because it is the only CRA that calls a HELOC a CC.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I checked my credit reports before I decided to go for my first home mortgage loan, TU was 661 Ex was 652 and no idea what EQ was because they go with the middle score, so I figured they do about 640 and I am good. Then they had all the paperwork together and ran a trimerge. TU was 598 What the heck??? There is a 100 point drop from EQ and TU and 63 point drop from TU site and when they ran the trimerge???????? Why is this I have been trying to get some answers for two weeks????

Message 4 of 12
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I checked my credit reports before I decided to go for my first home mortgage loan, TU was 661 Ex was 652 and no idea what EQ was because they go with the middle score, so I figured they do about 640 and I am good. Then they had all the paperwork together and ran a trimerge. TU was 598 What the heck??? There is a 100 point drop from EQ and TU and 63 point drop from TU site and when they ran the trimerge???????? Why is this I have been trying to get some answers for two weeks????

Hi irishphenix, and welcome to the FICO Forums.

When you checked your credit reports prior to applying, where did you get them from?  Were they from a lender, or from another credit report/score website?

If the latter, then the scores that you pulled were not FICO scores, but rather scores generated from a formula that is different from the actual FICO score formulas.  We lovingly refer to then non-FICO scores as "FAKOs".  Unfortunately, there is often little correlation between non-FICO and actual FICO scores.

All Experian scores obtained by consumers, with rare exceptions, are not FICO scores.  So unless the EX score that you mentioned above falls into one of these exceptions (for example, obtained through the Pennsylvania State Employees Credit Union), it's probably not a FICO score.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone please provide the 3 websites to go to to recieve the 3 different scores. Thanks.

Message 6 of 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can someone please provide the 3 websites to go to to recieve the 3 different scores. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums !!

I'd suggest you take a look at this thread first, frequently requested threads - the first one listed, Credit Scoring 101, should help you understand how and where to get FICO scores.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Frequently-Requested-Threads/td-p/19320

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

There are two type of credit scores: FICO scores and everyone else (we call these FAKOs). Everyone it seems offers credit scores but virtually none of them are FICOs. Places like creditkarma, freecreditscore, smartcredit, privacyguard, quizzle, truecredit, creditscore.com, identityguard, experian.com, equifax.com, transunion.com, creditreport.com, and hundreds of other places offer scores but they aren't FICOs.

The places to get your FICOs are very limited:

You can buy your Equifax FICO from myFICO.com, www.equifax.com/myfico-products, or from your lender.

You can buy your TransUnion FICO from myFICO.com or from your lender.

You cannot buy your Experian FICO from anywhere. At one point you could buy it from myFICO, as indicated in OP's first post, but as of a few years ago, Experian blocked access to your own EX FICO.

Finally, there are a small handful of banks and CUs that offer FICO scores as part of a benefit or service. For example you can get your EQ FICO from Digital Credit Union, Unitus Community Credit Union, M&T Bank, and some others. You can get your TU FICO from Wal-MArt if you happen to have one of their CCs. Finally, you can get your EX FICO from a CU called PSECU. There are others out there so check with your local CU to see if this is an option.

Message 8 of 12
ready13
New Contributor

yes thats very true i researched who the company pulls from that i am applying for credit through to pull my report the night before i submit my application to view what i would be working with before my two last payments hit my credit report on cycle 1 of their reports figuring if i get one more last score raise it cant hurt it any. I viewed on the score watch it had already been at 65-- something on the last monitoring of cycle 3 of the reporting to credit bureaus so i was waiting for this last minute thing to set up for my view of next few weeks which i completely hit my marks skipping into 700's somewhere in next few days...how can i be mad at that????Smiley Wink   ALL GOOD STAYING WITH MY MOTIVATION CAN ONLY HELP MY DAILY GRIND !!!!!WOOP WOOPSmiley Embarassed

Message 9 of 12
masscredit
Valued Contributor

My EX score always seems to be much lower than the other two.  It's hard to get a score from them so I pretty much don't follow that one now. As long as the others are close and ok, I should be good. I'll keep up with the report though. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.