Did you mean: 

850 Fico under age 40?????

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: 850 Fico under age 40?????

@Anonymous wrote:

I kind of feel like my credit scores suck after seeing his

If you try to keep up with the Joneses then you'll run into disappointment.  Someone always has a better score, more money, a nicer house, a fancier car, etc etc.

Focus on your credit versus comparing it to others.  If your scores are in the mid 700's then you have good scores.  Best terms are generally offered around 740-760.

Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America Privacy Assist service describes one of the negative factors on my credit to be "account held less than 30 years".  If that's the case, then unless you were 10 when you got your first card, you'll have to wait until that factor disappears! Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 28
JagerBombs89
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So i'm new here and I thought I had pretty good credit ( mid 740's fico on all 3 EX,TU,EQ ). Just for the fun of it I had my grandfather check his fico scores and **bleep** 840's on all 3 Smiley Surprised. I know he has purchased a home and many cars over the years and his oldest credit account is like 20 years lol ( reminds me of the old flintstones movie when they shattered barneys wife's rock card Smiley Very Happy ). So my question is does anyone under 40 years of age have a score in the 840-850 without buying a home?? This is just for my own interest, I kind of feel like my credit scores suck after seeing his lol and since im new I want to say a BIG HI to everyone.

Before my situation, I had  810 EX08 and 829 TU08 scores... and I am only in my mid-20s

Message 13 of 28
Ubuntu
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So my question is does anyone under 40 years of age have a score in the 840-850 without buying a home??

I'm 44 and I just got my first 850 FICO 8 from EQ on Sunday.  I've assumed I get there at some point in the not too distant future but it was still a very pleasant surprise because nothing obvious had changed except for small variations in UTI and a .  I'm at 849 on EX and 839 on TU. My TU was 848 back in October but an INQ from a fraudulent loan app dinged me a bit.

My oldest account is from 1994 but I had two accounts 6 years earlier in 1988.  If I had kept those open I'm guessing that I could've hit 850 when I was 38 but that's just a guess.

No one knows for sure but my hunch is that you need an account around 20 years old and/or an AAoA of around 10 to 12 to get on the top scorecard / bucket and be eligible for an 850.  You'd obviously also need to have all the other factors in line (perfect payment history, low UTI, etc.).  It may be possible to get an 850 on more than one of the scorecards but it would seem logical that 850 is only possible on the top one. Again all guesswork.

To sort of answer your question quoted above, I don't have a mortgage in my file or any installment loans that are still on file either so those aren't require to hit the top of the chart at least on EQ.

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Obviously, I'm not sure what measures MarineVietVet took to get there, but it only took him 20 years to get from bankruptcy to a perfect score. That implies that you could do it before 40 if you started when you were 18. You could probalby get around the mortgage requirement by taking out a car loan or some other installment loan, and increasing your types of credit that way. 

Message 15 of 28
iv
Valued Contributor

@Ubuntu wrote:

My oldest account is from 1994 but I had two accounts 6 years earlier in 1988.  If I had kept those open I'm guessing that I could've hit 850 when I was 38 but that's just a guess.

No one knows for sure but my hunch is that you need an account around 20 years old and/or an AAoA of around 10 to 12 to get on the top scorecard / bucket and be eligible for an 850.  You'd obviously also need to have all the other factors in line (perfect payment history, low UTI, etc.).  It may be possible to get an 850 on more than one of the scorecards but it would seem logical that 850 is only possible on the top one. Again all guesswork.

To sort of answer your question quoted above, I don't have a mortgage in my file or any installment loans that are still on file either so those aren't require to hit the top of the chart at least on EQ.

I first saw 850 (on FICO 8, of course, not 04 and 98) at 36.  Oldest open account was 18 years, and AAoA was just over 8 years, so your hunch is in the right ballpark, just a little bit high.

Might also be affected by credit mix - I've tended to be heavier on the mortgage loans, and lighter on the credit cards than most around here. (Currently 5 open+closed mortgage loans reporting, vs 4 cards and 2 auto loans.)

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 16 of 28
Ubuntu
Regular Contributor

@iv wrote:

@Ubuntu wrote:

I first saw 850 (on FICO 8, of course, not 04 and 98) at 36.  Oldest open account was 18 years, and AAoA was just over 8 years, so your hunch is in the right ballpark, just a little bit high.

Might also be affected by credit mix - I've tended to be heavier on the mortgage loans, and lighter on the credit cards than most around here. (Currently 5 open+closed mortgage loans reporting, vs 4 cards and 2 auto loans.)

Thanks for the feedback. That's what I love most about this forum...  little bits and pieces of the puzzle constantly being shared to make the murky FICO waters a little clearer.

Message 17 of 28
skorpyo3
Frequent Contributor

@MarineVietVet, We were the same age when we filed BK. Now I'm hoping that with age I gain more patience. Whether it's ourselves or credit, all signs indicate that amazing things do happen in due time. 😊
|EQ 698|TU 674|EX 665| BK discharged 11/2012

[Amex PRG No PSL] [Cap 1 QS Visa Sig $50,000] [Barclaycard CashForward WMC $25,000] [Patelco CU MC $20,000] [BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $15,000] [Amex BCE $13,000] [Discover It Cashback $13,500] [US Bank Cash + Visa Sig $10,000][US Bank Platinum Visa $8,400] [Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa Sig $10,000] [USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex $15,000] [Citi AAdvantage WMC $5,000] [Macy's Amex $7,500] [JCP $6,500] [Amazon Prime $6,000] [Target $2,000]
Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm 37 and have a 859 on fico 8
Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Typo 850
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.