Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

850 Fico under age 40?????

tag
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Re: 850 Fico under age 40?????

I would expect someone under the age of 30 has a Fico 08 850.

All you need is about 8 years AAoA [perhaps 7 years 8 months based on the below from Experian] and likely 10 years for oldest account. Someone who gets an early start at 18 could certainly satisfy the requirements.

Experian AAoA.jpg

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

TT,

I thought AAoA was always considered in whole numbers?  7 years and 8 months just seems like an odd cutoff.  Does this mean that anythin greater than 7 years and 8 months AAoA wise is just gravy and doesn't actually add any scoring benefit? 

For example, if someone's AAoA is 9 years and they go on an app spree for 5 new accounts and their AAoA drops to what would be 7 years and 9 months, would their AAoA under FICO scoring still be viewed as being the best it can be? 

Message 22 of 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

TT,

I thought AAoA was always considered in whole numbers?  7 years and 8 months just seems like an odd cutoff.  Does this mean that anythin greater than 7 years and 8 months AAoA wise is just gravy and doesn't actually add any scoring benefit? 

For example, if someone's AAoA is 9 years and they go on an app spree for 5 new accounts and their AAoA drops to what would be 7 years and 9 months, would their AAoA under FICO scoring still be viewed as being the best it can be? 

All the prior data I saw suggested whole years; certainly all my data suggests current years but I only found a breakpoint at year 2 so far but I keep having uses for my credit report unfortunately and only just got past 3 years again.

I'm sure 850's were more common for younger folks before Amex changed their policies; when backdating was around it would've been possible to hit 850 as soon as someone turned 18 when talking FICO 8 anyway, or certainly 2 months after that if they had $500 in their pocket.

My problem is oldest tradeline, at some point I'll get steady state and likely find a new breakpoint, and depending how my testing of my mortgage payment goes I might get down to pretty installment utilization by the time I get to an AAOA of 6-7 years anyway.

        
Message 23 of 28
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

TT,

Perhaps, but the data presented to date is rather limited beyond 3 to 5 years AAoA. The threshold could still certainly be measured in months with thresholds that primarily equate to whole years such as:

1) under 12 months

2) 12 months to 24 months

3) 24 months to 60 months

4) 60 months to 92 months

5) Over 92 months (7 years, 8 months)

Sometimes milestones that CRAs publish as being used in there own models have relevence to Fico models. Sometimes they don't. I also found EX's use of 90% for CC max out to be insightful relative to Fico and results shared by posters.

I think the information is worth sharing and others can interpret it as they will.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

TT,

Perhaps, but the data presented to date is rather limited beyond 3 to 5 years AAoA. The threshold could still certainly be measured in months with thresholds that primarily equate to whole years such as:

1) under 12 months

Sometimes milestones that CRAs publish as being used in there own models have relevence to Fico models. Sometimes they don't. I also found EX's use of 90% for CC max out to be insightful relative to Fico and results shared by posters.

I think the information is worth sharing and others can interpret it as they will.

It just seems odd that all AAoA thresholds would be in whole years except for the very last point; in your list above I would expect Number 5 to say 60 months to 96 months, for example, giving a whole number of 8 years as the upper cutoff.  I guess I'm just not understanding the 7 years, 8 months thing.  I'm about 6 months away from hitting 7 years and 8 months, so at that time I can report back if I scoop up a point or two I supose.

Message 25 of 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

TT,

1) under 12 months

It just seems odd that all AAoA thresholds would be in whole years except for the very last point; in your list above I would expect Number 5 to say 60 months to 96 months, for example, giving a whole number of 8 years as the upper cutoff.  I guess I'm just not understanding the 7 years, 8 months thing.  I'm about 6 months away from hitting 7 years and 8 months, so at that time I can report back if I scoop up a point or two I supose.

Until we know a smaller number really the only thing better would be to say somewhere <8 years I guess.

Problem is multiple variables need to line up to land in the highest scoring buckets, it's not just AAOA.  We know one can hit 800 off 2 years AAOA, I think the salient open question is whether you can at call it 5 years AAOA.  Not really sure how we determine it without people's having access to AU's from their parents or what not (assuming they don't fall afoul of the anti-abuse algorithm) as most people aren't going to have the longer tradeline for that side of the equation.

Likely the best we can do shorter term without getting lucky (the <8 years is a lucky datapoint as an example) is look for the AAOA breakpoints and I'm comfortable in agreeing that they line up on annual boundaries.  The old data suggested there was one at 2 and I found that one as well, that there was nothing at 1 and I think they may have gotten that default 1 year AAOA from Barry but I couldn't find it when I went looking, and that it rounded down... or at least you didn't move based on AAOA until you ticked over the next breakpoint which I suppose is saying the same thing.

Also that data was all on FICO 5, FICO 8 might have different skews though it looks though annual is still the same and I did see my AAOA 2 years shifting on EQ FICO 8 at any rate.  

        
Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well my fiancé has never bought a house (rented in NYC until a year ago) and his credit score has been above 800 since he was 28 (he's 39 now). BUT he's had 2 of his credit cards since he was 18 and has never missed a payment on anything in his life. Interestingly he also never had a car loan while living in NYC, so his school loans must have satisfied the credit mix for him. I dunno. All I know is that his score is near perfect and he obsesses over it 😜

Message 27 of 28
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well my fiancé has never bought a house (rented in NYC until a year ago) and his credit score has been above 800 since he was 28 (he's 39 now). BUT he's had 2 of his credit cards since he was 18 and has never missed a payment on anything in his life. Interestingly he also never had a car loan while living in NYC, so his school loans must have satisfied the credit mix for him. I dunno. All I know is that his score is near perfect and he obsesses over it 😜

oh, he's one of us...

are you sure you want to marry this guy? (j.k.)

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.