Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9 Charge offs reporting on 1 Account?

tag
sznnmnt
Established Member

9 Charge offs reporting on 1 Account?

Hello,

I can't find anything about why one of my accounts included in BK7 from 8/2015, Chase,  is reporting as 9 charge offs on my EX report. I believe it is why despite my otherwise perfect credit + BK public record cannot push me over 700. I have done EVEYTHING to improve my credit including:

Under 6% Utilization, 1 auto loan, 5 CCs with nearly 3 yrs, 1 CC 6months, Total CC limit = 22,000, Experian Boost,  no missed payments on any of my open accounts, 2 hard inquiries (>6 months). I do know for a fact that there are people with BK7 that have 750 or so despite the public record BK7 showing. There is another closed account that conveniently shows negative only the same month I filed bankruptcy. I feel like there is something very wrong with how Chase is reporting to the CRA. Please if someone has any answers about the 9 chargeoffs on one account, please let me know. I appreciate ANY info at all. Thank you!

Starting Score: 600
Current Score: 721
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
9 REPLIES 9
Boss2Boss
New Contributor

Re: 9 Charge offs reporting on 1 Account?

Dispute with the credit bureaus. Send a 609 letter certified mail.
Message 2 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Do you mean that they are making updating reporting each month that the status is CO, and/or that multiple prior months under payment history profile show as CO?

If so, that is proper reporting of the status as being delinquent for that month, and also that it was, at some prior point in time, charged to profil and loss.  It is not the reporting of multiple charge-offs.

The CRA reporting manual provides creditors the option, after a CO has been taken, to report CO as the delinquency status as an alternative to reporting delinquency in terms of days, such as 90-late, 120-late, etc.  That can continue until the debt is paid or sold.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG Can they still continue to report C/O each month post-BK, considering it is discharged?
Message 4 of 10
sznnmnt
Established Member

Chase is showing 9 months of non- payment pre-bankruptcy after 180 days late. Experian has it listed as 9 charge - offs for this one account. It never went to collections and remained with Chase - it looks to me like they didn’t close it until bankruptcy.

Message 5 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

When or did you stop paying on the account before filing? Any negs before filing stays intact. Now if it was up to date then Chase is in the wrong. Creditors are not allowed to report your debt in a variety of ways that could cause your credit to suffer after filing. Listings them as currently owed, late, delinquent, outstanding charged off, having a balance due, converted to a new type of debt (re-aged) or given new account numbers, for example. Then its time to contact your lawyer. No negs can be listed after the file date and must say IIB and 0 balance.

Message 6 of 10
cnicolebanks
Established Member

Thanks, I learned something. I had the same question for one of my accounts.

@RobertEG wrote:

Do you mean that they are making updating reporting each month that the status is CO, and/or that multiple prior months under payment history profile show as CO?

If so, that is proper reporting of the status as being delinquent for that month, and also that it was, at some prior point in time, charged to profil and loss.  It is not the reporting of multiple charge-offs.

The CRA reporting manual provides creditors the option, after a CO has been taken, to report CO as the delinquency status as an alternative to reporting delinquency in terms of days, such as 90-late, 120-late, etc.  That can continue until the debt is paid or sold.

Starting Scores:EX: 497 TR: 506 EQ: 500
Current Scores:EX: 589 TR: 591 EQ: 587
Goal Scores: EX: 751 TR: 751 EQ: 751

Message 7 of 10
sznnmnt
Established Member

It looks like the credit reporting agency doesn’t want to show my perfect history prior to when I stopped making payments the only thing on my account is that it’s showing for 30 days late 60 days late 90, 120, 180 and then there is nine months where it shows it being negative and after that nine months is when I file bankruptcy the account shows a zero balance and the account shows as nine charge-offs. The biggest question is are they reporting this correctly? Why is this holding my credit score below 700? And ultimately, why did I file bankruptcy if this account or others are going to affect my credit so severely despite my due diligence in repairing and maintaining perfect credit with all my open accounts?

I truly believe that 9 out of 10 people don’t know what their rights are and just assume that their credit is going to be crap (<600) for the 10 years that the bankruptcy is on. That’s what I initially thought until I was told that some people have gotten their bankruptcy off early, and some people with a bk7 have a 750 score only 3 yrs after discharge!

Message 8 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

So what date was the first of the late payments posted compared to your file date? Better not be after file date. And when was the last payment before the file date?

Message 9 of 10
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It's not counting it as 9 separate charge offs, it's just reporting as a CO every month after it exceeded the 120+ late stage and was actually charged off. Now, if as FireMedic and others have said, this is reporting AFTER your BK, then that is illegal and you should contact your lawyer. But if it is accurate in the sense that the account hadn't been paid on and was CO'd prior to BK filing, then there is nothing that can be done I'm afraid.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.