Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$900.00 cell phone bill

tag
black_citi
Established Contributor

$900.00 cell phone bill

I didn't know where to put this thread. I thought the smorgsborg was a good place but it didn't seem to fit there. Mods can place it in its appropriate board.

Okay this is quite complicated so I won't bore you with the details, but I bought a new phone (Galaxy S7) on March 8th at a local electronics store. My previous phone, Galaxy S5, was 2 years old and the LCD had cracked and it would have cost me $250 to replace. I had the money but I figured since the S7 was out I decided to get one. 

To make this very long and complicated story short, I ended up signing a lease agreement WITHOUT realizing what I did. I asked the sales person before I signed, that I wanted to pay the phone in full right then and there but she said "you can pay the phone off anytime, you just don't have to do it now". Since I am an idiot, I said "okay". I should have paid more attention to what I was signing. My Galaxy S5 phone I bought 2 years ago, I did installment payments on and was able to pay the phone off in full about a month after I got it. No issues. That is what I THOUGHT I was doing with this S7 when I signed that lease agreement that I thought was an installment agreement. With installment agreements you can pay the phone off anytime you want with no penalities and I thought that is what I thought was doing. I think sprint just started that lease crap about 2 years ago or so. I wasn't given a lease choice when I bought my S5 back in 2014.

Anyway, on April 8, I decided it was time to pay off my phone in full. I called Sprint, and told them I want to pay the full balance, thinking I could do that with no issues. He told me "you can do that, but since you are in a lease, you must pay the full price of the phone, PLUS $150.00, PLUS the next months payment". I almost fainted when he told me I have to pay an additional $150 plus next months payment. That's when he explained to me that I signed a lease agreement when all this time I thought I signed an installment agreement. I pretty much slammed my head into a wall.

My total bill is 917.01. That includes the price of the phone, plus the $150, plus next months bill, all rolled into one cute little pile. I already paid them $63. My monthly service bill is (and has always been) $86. That includes unlimited talk, text and data.

I've been thinking of joining verizon's team for the last year even before all this mess happened. I went to verizon and the sales guy told me they can give me $300 for my phone and I can just pay an extra $400 towards a new S7, or any other phone I want. I will be stuck with that $917.01 because I will not pay that if I get a phone through verizon. It will (of course) go to collections and ruin my beautiful credit history that I have worked so hard to maintain. I could just pay the 917.01 but I hate sprint, and their network, at least where i live, has gotten worse. I have been a loyal customer of theirs since 2010. NEVER missed and payment and NEVER been late NOT ONE TIME. In the world of contracts, you mean nothing to these coporations.

So my question is this, should I just pay the $917.01, keep the phone with this garbage company and deal with the pain and mistake that I made, OR should I just say screw sprint, let the $917.01 go to collections, be reported on my credit for the next 7 years, maybe even getting sued and wage garnished and sell my S7 to Verizon for a $300 credit and buy another S7 (I like this phone) for $400 and just try and put this behind me (even though they will be blowing up my phone to collect their dough so it won't actually be "behind me")?

Make More, Spend Less
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: $900.00 cell phone bill

Did you talk to a supervisor?  What exactly is the $150 for?  How much do you owe on the phone? And why do you have to pay the next months payment in advance?

Message 2 of 33
someone379
Regular Contributor

My understanding (based on my Verizon plan that I think they all do now) is that if you just pay it monthly, it turns out to be 0% financing...  Is that the case here?   If it is, why not just pay it monthly like your agreement says and avoid paying extra?  Put the money in a savings account that gains interest to pay it out of. 

Is Sprint's deal not 0% financing like the other players (AT&T and Verizon)? 

Starting Score: EQ 503 TU 478" "Current Scores: EQ >750 TU >750 EX >750
IHG (19k) | Discover IT (18k) | BCE (14.5k) | SPG (14k) | CashForward (7.5) | Citi DC (6k) | TE (5.5k) | Marriott (5k) | Citi Best Buy (5k) | Amz VISA (3k) | BofA Cash Rewards (4.5k) | FNBO 6.25% AMEX (2.3k) | Amz Store (CLOSED) | QS1 ($1.6k)
Message 3 of 33
black_citi
Established Contributor

No I didn't talk to a sup. The $150 was the charge for canceling the agreement and I asked them why I needed to pay next months bill but they told me "its in your contract". Believe me, If I had been more observant of what I was doing I would have NEVER signed that agreement. gahhhhhhhh I feel so bad.

Make More, Spend Less
Message 4 of 33
black_citi
Established Contributor

@someone379 wrote:

My understanding (based on my Verizon plan that I think they all do now) is that if you just pay it monthly, it turns out to be 0% financing...  Is that the case here?   If it is, why not just pay it monthly like your agreement says and avoid paying extra?  Put the money in a savings account that gains interest to pay it out of. 

Yea it's 0%. I already canceled the contract (but haven't paid a dime other than that $63). The lease agreement was for 2 years.

Make More, Spend Less
Message 5 of 33
black_citi
Established Contributor

@someone379 wrote:

The phone itself was $699 and that electronics store I went to.

Make More, Spend Less
Message 6 of 33
someone379
Regular Contributor

@black_citi wrote:

@someone379 wrote:

Yea it's 0%. I already canceled the contract (but haven't paid a dime other than that $63). The lease agreement was for 2 years.

I think I would try to reverse the canceling of that contract... Seems like your shooting yourself in the foot just to try to make a point to someone who isn't listening. 

IHG (19k) | Discover IT (18k) | BCE (14.5k) | SPG (14k) | CashForward (7.5) | Citi DC (6k) | TE (5.5k) | Marriott (5k) | Citi Best Buy (5k) | Amz VISA (3k) | BofA Cash Rewards (4.5k) | FNBO 6.25% AMEX (2.3k) | Amz Store (CLOSED) | QS1 ($1.6k)
Message 7 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@black_citi wrote:

No I didn't talk to a sup. The $150 was the charge for canceling the agreement and I asked them why I needed to pay next months bill but they told me "its in your contract". Believe me, If I had been more observant of what I was doing I would have NEVER signed that agreement. gahhhhhhhh I feel so bad.

Is it really in the contract thus paying next months bill when a customer is unhappy?  I can undertand the $150, but paying next months bill?  How much do you owe on phone? The way I see it is, if you can deduct how much you owe on the phone from the $900 then it makes the break down easier..

So say the phone is worth $600, you can sell it on Ebay to get your money back.  Then now you are left with $300. Part of that is fee for disconnecting and next months bill.  Figure a way to fight that and you will be in business.

Read and read the contract again and again to see if there is a language hidden in there you can latch unto to make a case for yourself. If the store level isn't working then reach out to someone at a higher level..

Message 8 of 33
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Sprint_Lease/b91a834e-e06f-4321-a97f-a0888b4199...

Seems like you're stuck with a lease offer instead of a buy. Technically the store guy was right, you can purchase the phone at the end of the lease period, by paying the purchase amount. They're running a similar business as car sellers.

You might want to read your lease agreement carefully to find out the purchase option price and determine whether you're getting any benefits from the lease.

Don't believe what the CSR says. You should check the agreement yourself and if necessary, speak to the seller at the store.

Regardless, don't think of letting it hit your credit. It's less than a thousand dollars, not worth it to get a baddie. Get the AMEX BCP and use it towards the cost Smiley Tongue
Message 9 of 33
someone379
Regular Contributor

So with Sprint you don't own the phone after 2 years?   That's aweful. 

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.