Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A 30 day late payment removal from Bofa credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A 30 day late payment removal from Bofa credit card

Hi, I've had a BofA credit card for over 25 years without a late payment report. Last Sep. they did a 30 day late reporting to the credit bureaus because they kept receiving $100 exactly every month instead of $136 for eaxample (amount varied due to purchases & interest rates). Not being a tech savvy, I had the Autopay set on $100 instead of "minimum payment on due date" from the beginning of using this card last year so until I figured it out I kept making the payments by phone at a later date each month hoping that I could reset the Autopay to the correct amounts instead of $100 each month. BofA says that my payments were made late & I always thought as long as they received at least majority portion of the payments on the due date or before then it's not reported to the bureaus. 

I've contacted them a few times & they are saying that this doesn't qualify for a 30day late report removal. This is the only late payment report in my credit files, please help this grandparent if you would like & thank you for reading this. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Re: A 30 day late payment removal from Bofa credit card

Let me apologize in advance for what I'm sure will come out sounding rather harsh. You're at fault here. Plain and simple. Expecting BofA to do anything to reverse anything is unrealistic.

At some point you realized that you weren't paying [at least] the minimum due each month. As soon as you realized that, you should've taken measures to fix it. At THAT point, it would've made sense for BofA to reverse a late payment report and a late fee, as a courtesy. In other words, if you'd caught it within days and taken steps to fix it, then asking BofA not to report it as late, or to remove the report if they'd already submitted it, would be realistic. But now? No. Ditto for reversing any late fees.

The 'I'm just an old fuddy-duddy' excuse really doesn't cut it! I'm 60+ and don't expect any leeway just because of my advanced age. If you couldn't figure out how to change the auto-pay amount by yourself, you could've called BofA and asked for help (they'd probably walk you through the process), or you could've asked the CSR to fix the amount/timing, or you could've posted here (or somewhere else) to ask for help, or you could've had a friend or relative help, or....   Do you see my point?

Payments have always been *due* by the due date; I've never heard of, or expected, a partial payment to be considered an on-time payment, regardless of whether said payment represented the majority of the payment due. A full payment is a full payment, period, and anything less than that is not acceptable.

I'm sorry this has happened to you, especially after such a long history--I've been with BofA for over 30 years, so I get it. But right now all you can really do is make sure the auto-pay situation has been rectified and, going forward, you don't have any more late payments.

Just FYI, I literally log in to BofA every day to check my accounts, make sure there are no questionable charges/debits, scan my bill pay list, make sure no account that should have been paid recently hasn't been, etc. Because I'm so fanatical about this, I would've caught the problem you had right away. Going forward, you might want to make this a habit that you do, too. When I scan my list of payees, if I see that CardX was last paid on November 22, and today is December 17th but I haven't paid it yet (and I know it has a balance), I immediately log in to my CardX account, find out how much the balance is and how much the minimum payment is, then go back to BofA and make the payment. This method has kept me late payment-free for many, many years. (I did let a DirecTV bill fall through the cracks a few months ago--but because of my perfect 30-year history with them, they waived the late fee and assured me they would not report it as late.)

Sorry again for the mean tone of my message, but I'm just calling it as I see it.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 2 of 4
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I've had a BofA credit card for over 25 years without a late payment report. Last Sep. they did a 30 day late reporting to the credit bureaus because they kept receiving $100 exactly every month instead of $136 for eaxample (amount varied due to purchases & interest rates). Not being a tech savvy, I had the Autopay set on $100 instead of "minimum payment on due date" from the beginning of using this card last year so until I figured it out I kept making the payments by phone at a later date each month hoping that I could reset the Autopay to the correct amounts instead of $100 each month. BofA says that my payments were made late & I always thought as long as they received at least majority portion of the payments on the due date or before then it's not reported to the bureaus. 

I've contacted them a few times & they are saying that this doesn't qualify for a 30day late report removal. This is the only late payment report in my credit files, please help this grandparent if you would like & thank you for reading this. 

Hello and welcome to the forums 

Unfortunately BoA isn't famous for GW removal, but if you have plenty of time, you can try. 

I personally wouldn't because that late payment isn't your only problem.

I'm assuming you set it for $100 when that was an adequate payment but your balance kept increasing, you're using card without grace period therefore interest is contributing to minimum payment going up, meaning your balance isn't going down, then late payment happens.

So instead of drawing more attention to this account and adding human eyes to it, it would be for the best if you made a significant payment on your account before adverse action happens and account is closed permanently. 

It's really hard to make a case via goodwill request that it was a mistake and not financial distress while failing to make minimum payment.

Get the balance down if you want to keep this account open. 

Message 3 of 4
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello and welcome to the forums 

Unfortunately BoA isn't famous for GW removal, but if you have plenty of time, you can try. 

I personally wouldn't because that late payment isn't your only problem.

I'm assuming you set it for $100 when that was an adequate payment but your balance kept increasing, you're using card without grace period therefore interest is contributing to minimum payment going up, meaning your balance isn't going down, then late payment happens.

So instead of drawing more attention to this account and adding human eyes to it, it would be for the best if you made a significant payment on your account adverse action happens and account is closed permanently. 

It's really hard to make a case via goodwill request that it was a mistake and not financial distress while failing to make minimum payment.

Get the balance down if you want to keep this account open. 

Exactly. And note that the OP said: "they kept receiving $100 exactly every month instead of $136 for eaxample (amount varied"--so this wasn't a one-off goof. It went on for....however many months.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.