Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A $30 late payment dropped my score 105 points. Im devastated

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A $30 late payment dropped my score 105 points. Im devastated

Is there a way to get this removed? I find it extremely petty. Long story short

I built my credit from 600 to 800+ in 2 years by paying off massive debt..
Currently i have about 18 credit cards and 2 of them have balances. Im at around 12% utilization with 55k worth of credit..
A couple months ago i completely forgot i used one of the credit cards i rarely use (capital one)
To buy a $6 app... so yes, the only balance on the card was $6.. i missed the payment as i forgot and late fees accrued to $30.. i only realized it because i checked credit karma. I paid the mere $30 off immediately of course but the damage had already been done. Im a grown man and my eyes got watery. I was looking forward to purchasing a condo or home.
Yea it was my mistake, i work 6 days a week and it just slipped my mind and i didnt get any emails or alerts to this late payment. I cant believe they reported this and wrekced3my credit. Im at around 680 now.

Is it possible to beg to someone at capital one or anything i can do hell with this. I mean come on $30!!!! Really!!!??
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: A $30 late payment dropped my score 105 points. Im devastated

A100 point drop means that you did not miss a single payment, it means you missed entirely or made less than the required minimum monthly payment 2 months in a row.  That translates to a 30 day late being reported which would be consistent with a 105 point drop in your FICO 8 score.  

You can try contacting their Executive Office and pleading your case asking them to remove the 30 day late as a goodwill gesture but if their reporting was accurate the odds of your being successful are going to be quite poor.   If you can show that their reporting was not accurate and you in fact did only miss 1 payment I'm sure they will correct their mistake. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hate beating a dead horse but you got to setup autopay for all your cards, if not for full statement balance at least for the minimum.
Message 3 of 27
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Geeeeeze! I'm definitely setting up auto payments for minimum amount due today.
Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair enough.. guess ill need to be more responsible.. 7 years is it? That it stays on my report?? A couple years ago i had a Daniels Jeweler late fee removed by using a creditrepair website, i wonder if i can do the same this time.. Removing that delinquency boosted my score. Hopefully we can try a repeat of that. It being $30 leaves a horribly bad taste in my mouth..

I also did credit simulator where it says if i pay off the 6k to get my utilization to 0 my score would jump back up close to 800, which i dont believe but ill give it a try in a few mpre pay checks..

Uuughhhh!
Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually tried that but didnt see an option for it, i was too lazy to call.. came back to bite me. Hear that kids? Dont be lazy
Message 6 of 27
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OP
So sorry. Yep, it’s real funky when it happens.

Along with @Oldman’s suggestion, also set reminder alerts. Hand to Gawd, I’m so worried about a mishap, I have an Outlook reminder, a bank reminder, and a CC reminder on all my CCs. It’s obsessive behavior but I too worked hard to get my scores where they are. I have autopay setup too, and I also scan my bank and CC accounts daily to ensure nothing is awry.

So get in the habit of being—well not quite as obsessive as me—overly observant.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 27
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OP forget the simulator. It’s truly not reliable.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 27
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Everyone else pretty much covered it.. Sorry. 

I will offer this: You said it's a little used card.. Start using it- charge a couple hundred and PIF every month.

After a year of use & PIF you can try sending a bunch of good will letters to every address you can locate for them.

It may not work, but what the heck, if it does, it's far better than waiting the 7 years.. 

aaa1 Good Luck.gif

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:
OP
So sorry. Yep, it’s real funky when it happens.

@Anonymous with @Oldman’s suggestion, also set reminder alerts. Hand to Gawd, I’m so worried about a mishap, I have an Outlook reminder, a bank reminder, and a CC reminder on all my CCs. It’s obsessive behavior but I too worked hard to get my scores where they are. I have autopay setup too, and I also scan my bank and CC accounts daily to ensure nothing is awry.

So get in the habit of being—well not quite as obsessive as me—overly observant.

Sign up for Mint, you will be able scan through all your accounts (including investment and mortgage) and setup alerts with a single log in, I have been using it since earlier this year, along with everything being on autopay I hardly ever log into individual accounts anymore except when action is needed. Work hard but work smart.
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.