Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A $30 late payment dropped my score 105 points. Im devastated

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A $30 late payment dropped my score 105 points. Im devastated

@Anonymous wrote:
Fair enough.. guess ill need to be more responsible.. 7 years is it? That it stays on my report?? A couple years ago i had a Daniels Jeweler late fee removed by using a creditrepair website, i wonder if i can do the same this time.. Removing that delinquency boosted my score. Hopefully we can try a repeat of that. It being $30 leaves a horribly bad taste in my mouth..

I also did credit simulator where it says if i pay off the 6k to get my utilization to 0 my score would jump back up close to 800, which i dont believe but ill give it a try in a few mpre pay checks..

Uuughhhh!

Yeah it sucks.  I got hit with a 30 day late on something.  Though I hear one 30 day late doesn't hurt too bad after a year.  I have noticed my score has gone up and that 30 day late will be at a year come the end of this month.

Message 21 of 27
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@kshurika wrote:

I think everything's been covered. All I can add is that I once looked at my Android and saw to my horror that I was a day late with my minimum payment to Amex. I called and spoke to a CSR and told her I would PIF immediately. I also pointed out that I'd never been late on any payment at any time to any creditor. She said she would adjust my account so that the late payment would not be reported, but the late fee would remain. The next day, I called and got another CSR and he said he would reverse the late fee. Since then, alarms are set on all my calendars and auto-payments set up. 

Even though I'm a professional-level procrastinator, I think the fast move is what saved me. Delaying probably weakens your argument. Plus, you're looking at Capital One.

Best of luck!

If you were one day late then no late payment would be reported to the CRAs.  The first CSR basiclly did nothing for you.   A late payment is not reported until it is 30 days late.  The second CSR helped you by removing your late fee, but again there was no late payment at least as far as your CRs are concerned. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 22 of 27
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
 I mean come on $30!!!! Really!!!??

It dosen't matter how much it was you were late and that is that.   One of my pet peeves at work is when a customer says "I can't belived you shut off my cable I was only $XX past due and I was only XX days late."

I got news for them $XX dosen't mean anything and if your service was shut off it means you were at least 25 days late.   The days late starts counting from the payment due date not the day we shut you off.

Rant over. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you were the one who shut off my cable!?
Message 24 of 27
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So you were the one who shut off my cable!?

Yup that was me, sorry.  If you were younger I might have left it on. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick update. The next update my score jumped 23 points after i paid $600. I plan of paying off both my cards completed in the next couple months. Hopefully that gets my score above 750, unfortunately it may be sometime before i sniff 800 again
Message 26 of 27
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Quick update. The next update my score jumped 23 points after i paid $600. I plan of paying off both my cards completed in the next couple months. Hopefully that gets my score above 750, unfortunately it may be sometime before i sniff 800 again

Make sure you have at least one card reporting a small balance, $5 will do or you'll get a score drop for all cards at zero! 

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.