cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Warning About Greendot Secured Credit Cards...

tag
credit2019
New Contributor

A Warning About Greendot Secured Credit Cards...

A few months ago, someone (I believe a gas station attendant) apparently cloned my Greendot Secured card (this was a "Primor" secured card, Greendot bought them).  They then attempted to go on a shopping spree, but fortunately the computer flagged the transactions as suspicious and stopped the card after the first charge went through.  The operator told me all the places that "I" had tried to use my card in a single day after the card was shut off, and I hadn't attempted any of those transactions.  She immediately canceled the existing card and issued a new one.  I obviously disputed the 1 transaction that went through.

Today, after almost 2 months of waiting, I received a letter essentially telling me that the charge was legitimate because it was made in the same city in which I live.  This is the only card I have ever had that has refused to reverse an obviously fraudulent charge.  I am closing the account on Monday, because if I can't trust that I will be protected against unauthorized transactions, that card is nothing more than a massive liability.  I would close it today, but as with all these crappy credit card companies, they don't have customer service on the weekends.  My score will take a hit, as this is my oldest revolver, but I just am not going to pay for criminal transactions.  It's truly unbelievable that they have taken this stance.

So, beware of Greendot secured cards  If someone steals your card, you'll likely be on the hook for whatever they choose to buy.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
stonedog23
Frequent Contributor

Re: A Warning About Greendot Secured Credit Cards...

They shut off the card after the first of the spree transactions went through. They obviously knew something was wrong. And weren’t all the attempted charges attempted in your city just like the one that went through? Just shady on their part not to make this situation right. 

NFCU GoRewards Sig ($40,000), NFCU Cash Rewards ($33,000), PenFed Power Cash ($25,000), FNBO Evergreen Visa ($20,000), Bread Financial Rewards Amex ($19,150), PNC Cash Rewards ($18,400), PNC Cashbuilder ($18,700) , Citi Double Cash ($9600), Discover It Cash ($9000), Walmart MC ($8000), Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards ($7500), Fifth Third Unlimited Cash Back Mastercard ($7500), Wells Fargo Active Cash Sig($7000), Apple Card ($6000), Amex BCE($6000), Amex ED($6600), X1 Card ($5000), PNC Points ($8000), Amex Cash Magnet($2000), Fifth Third Truly Simple ($4000), Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards($4500), Truist Bright Card($4500), CapOne Quicksilver(Bucketed @$1500), US Bank Cash+ ($5,000), US Bank Cash+ ($1,000), WF mortgage 195K Fico 8: EQ 766, TU 763, EX 753, FICO 9:EQ 829, TU 812, EX 791, AAoA-97 months, AoOA-28 years
Message 2 of 14
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

That’s kind of scummy that they didn’t fix that. Sorry about the trouble!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

What a croc! This is why its best to get a secured Bank card. Thanks for sharingSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 14
Streetervillelady
Frequent Contributor

Prince.gif

Message 5 of 14
credit2019
New Contributor

@stonedog23 wrote:

They shut off the card after the first of the spree transactions went through. They obviously knew something was wrong. And weren’t all the attempted charges attempted in your city just like the one that went through? Just shady on their part not to make this situation right. 

Yes, their system automatically shutdown the card when someone tried to charge several hundred dollars at Scheel's Sporting Goods.  After that, apparently the thief tried smaller transactions at 3 other places that were declined because of the shutdown.  But earlier that same day, before Scheel's, the thief had a transaction go through at a Kohl's store that was far across town from where I live, but still in the same city.  Their security department stated in their letter that because I had shopped at a Kohl's before (like maybe a year before), and that the store was in my same city (even though I had never been in that specific Kohl's, much less used my card there), that it must have been me - despite the fact that their own security system shut down the card the same day that transaction was made.  I hadn't used the card for 2 months before all this occurred.  The whole thing is absurd.

Message 6 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Moving thread to 'General Credit' so your fraud issue can get additional exposure.

--UB

Message 7 of 14
stonedog23
Frequent Contributor

OMG, that’s just some straight BS!!! I’m angry like it’s my card. I just hate hearing stories like this. My neighbor,  who has never been out of the country, had her card used in Turkey of all places. B of A made it right, but just the idea of thieves praying on hard working people raises my blood pressure. 

NFCU GoRewards Sig ($40,000), NFCU Cash Rewards ($33,000), PenFed Power Cash ($25,000), FNBO Evergreen Visa ($20,000), Bread Financial Rewards Amex ($19,150), PNC Cash Rewards ($18,400), PNC Cashbuilder ($18,700) , Citi Double Cash ($9600), Discover It Cash ($9000), Walmart MC ($8000), Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards ($7500), Fifth Third Unlimited Cash Back Mastercard ($7500), Wells Fargo Active Cash Sig($7000), Apple Card ($6000), Amex BCE($6000), Amex ED($6600), X1 Card ($5000), PNC Points ($8000), Amex Cash Magnet($2000), Fifth Third Truly Simple ($4000), Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards($4500), Truist Bright Card($4500), CapOne Quicksilver(Bucketed @$1500), US Bank Cash+ ($5,000), US Bank Cash+ ($1,000), WF mortgage 195K Fico 8: EQ 766, TU 763, EX 753, FICO 9:EQ 829, TU 812, EX 791, AAoA-97 months, AoOA-28 years
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would start a letter storm. Get the name of every executive you can find.

Message 9 of 14
fuzzle
Regular Contributor

I wonder if complaining to Visa would help? Visa's Zero Liability Policy lets you shop with confidence.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.