Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A funny thing happened on the way to my TU CR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A funny thing happened on the way to my TU CR

Per a MyFico member suggestion, I decided to check Annual Credit Report .com to see if a Chase charge off had a DOFD record. I hadn't procured a TU report for some time, so elected that CA for this check.  In the initial three security challenges I must have fat fingered something, because I was offered a fourth challenge.

Lo and behold, the challenge was along the lines of, "A person you know lives in [PLACE NAME]."  The options were A) An Unknown Name to me, B) Unknown, C) A name of someone I had suspected of breaching my SS# 20+ years ago, D) Unknown, E) None of the above.  I may not have the particulars exactly right, but you get the gist.  Why I didn't screen shot this, is beyond me.  I chose E and failed the challenge.  I was offered a phone number to call, in lieu.

A call came in, so I was diverted away for a while.  Returning to the window with the TU number, had now been replaced with a time-out window.  I decided to fill out the form again, and see if the system would let me continue to the security challenge.  Sure enough, it did, and I sailed through the three challenges this time, and received my CR.

Now get this.  For yucks I decided to google search on this person's name.  On the scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is a common name, its about a 6.  I coupled her name with the PLACE NAME, but no dice.  Interestingly though, on about the 5th link down, someone by her name was convicted of mail fraud, wire fraud, and real estate fraud in 2017.  She is currently serving four years in federal prison.  Coincidence?

I can't remember exactly what I suspected this person of doing.  She used to show in some way on my CRs, back when my credit was 800+ (1990's... =\  ).  I have a faint recollection of filing a complaint with the CA's, but have no record of this.  Occasionally, I would receive a credit offer at my address, in her name.  Its a long time ago.

What should I do?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: A funny thing happened on the way to my TU CR

Well, as long as her name is no longer anywhere on your credit reports and any credit offers in her name sent to your address was "long ago" I would do nothing.

Those kind of security questions likely came from Lexis Nexis or similar personal information aggregator service that can dig up info from long ago. I occasionally get security questions about my sister which always set me back at the connection, she has terrible credit and usually has a few bill collectors chasing after her. And she lives in Ohio where I grew up and I moved away from in 1988. When I pulled my Lexis Nexis report I see they connect us from our parent's address which we shared until 1988. So over 30 years ago, and a recent security question asked me her age within a range, how they dug up her age/date of birth is beyond me.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A funny thing happened on the way to my TU CR

Appreciate the response, thank you. Glad to know I'm not the only one whose past casts a long shadow... misery loves company! Smiley Happy

Will do nothing.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.