Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A year into my car loan and I may have to give it all up, advice needed

tag
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Re: A year into my car loan and I may have to give it all up, advice needed

@krielly wrote:

You should be aware that when you surrender the car, they will likely come after you for the difference between what they can get for it, and your loan balance. 

And that difference will be significant.  They will sell the car at auction and that is usually the lowest sales price of any type of sale. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I'm on car loan with son-in-law. Could my daughter replace me on it with good credit?

That's the issue with him, he couldn't even plan his own bankruptcy! He just always thinks things are going to work out and doesn't realize it's been me that's been making that happen and his idea of budgeting is "oh, look, there's money in there, better spend it on something small and stupid" and we all know how that adds up. I love my son in law, he's a great dad, good to my daughter in most ways but he's extremely financially irresponsible and despite my reminding, gently nudging, nagging, drawing actual diagrams, checklists of budgets, he doesn't get through. I'm working right now on getting PUA unemployment and I'll continue to pay as long as I have to, but at this point I really fear his "disconnect" from reality is going to destroy my own credit. At the time it was necessary to just go in together and buy a car. I had extremely crucial medical appointments and they have two kids that needed to get around. My daughter is willing to go on the title with him once her credit is built up a bit more, but I wasn't sure if this was ever done.

Message 22 of 24
Iusedtolurk
Established Contributor

Re: I'm on car loan with son-in-law. Could my daughter replace me on it with good credit?

@Anonymous wrote:

That's the issue with him, he couldn't even plan his own bankruptcy! He just always thinks things are going to work out and doesn't realize it's been me that's been making that happen and his idea of budgeting is "oh, look, there's money in there, better spend it on something small and stupid" and we all know how that adds up. I love my son in law, he's a great dad, good to my daughter in most ways but he's extremely financially irresponsible and despite my reminding, gently nudging, nagging, drawing actual diagrams, checklists of budgets, he doesn't get through. I'm working right now on getting PUA unemployment and I'll continue to pay as long as I have to, but at this point I really fear his "disconnect" from reality is going to destroy my own credit. At the time it was necessary to just go in together and buy a car. I had extremely crucial medical appointments and they have two kids that needed to get around. My daughter is willing to go on the title with him once her credit is built up a bit more, but I wasn't sure if this was ever done.

@AnonymousJust reading through your situation a saying comes to mind, "You gotten yourself into a real pickle".

I feel for you as there seems to be no easy out but there may be some light in the future if you do receive your PUA unemployment.

Your son-in-law is just at a stage where his credit is not a primary concern thus the burden is wholly yours. None of the other scerarios will affect you positively (voluntarily turning it in, letting it be repoed, having to pay for amount left owing if sold at auction especially for a car that no longer helps you get around, trying to sell it at the price that's still owed etc.).

Perhaps with the receipt of the PUA and a good CSR working with you things could work out, there's always a little hope.

Good luck with your health and your situation.

Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh a pickle for sure! That should be his middle name! I do love him but yes, you are right, it's just not a priority. And yes I am hoping for that PUA. I'm not even going to tell him if I get it. Just gonna save it up and watch him make his bad decisions and pretend like we're sunk and watch how he handles it, instead of me rushing in to save the situation each time. 

Thanks for the input and love your screenname!

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.