Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAoA? Open Accounts vs Closed Accounts

tag
SALEEN961
Valued Member

AAoA? Open Accounts vs Closed Accounts

I just came to realize that my AAoA is much longer then I thought it was; CreditKarma shows my AAoA at 1yr4mo which is a little short, but I just realized that they aren't counting in the 5 closed student loans that I paid off which also happen to be my oldest tradelines, my AAoA counting in these 5 closed accounts is actually 3yr0mo which is a lot better then CK is telling me.

This is a great realization for me but it also got me thinking, why is CK excluding these tradeline that I know are on my credit reports at each credit bureau, I know that my AAoA should be calculated with all the tradelines on my credit report regardless of whether they are closed or open, but is CK calculating my AAoA this way because certain lenders only look at open accounts for this calculation? Or is this just CK's quirky way of doing things that has nothing to do with how lenders look at my CR?

Discover IT 38.5K | AMEX BCE 20K | AMEX BCE Preffered 25K | PayPal Extras MC 10K
Chase Freedom Visa Signature 25K | Chase Freedom Unlimited 24.1K | Chase Amazon 13.5K

EX FICO: 788 Amex
EQ FICO: 796 DCU
TU FICO: 817 Chase
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: AAoA? Open Accounts vs Closed Accounts

CK only factors in open accounts for AAoA unlike FICO who factors all OC accounts, opened, closed, good, or bad.

And no, lenders to not use CK.

Message 2 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

They why doesn't really matter.  Every score is calculated differently and that's why they vary.  What matters is the scoring and critiera that the lender you're applying to uses.

As stated above, none of them use CK.  CK's just a handy monitoring tool.

Message 3 of 7
PCMedic
New Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

They why doesn't really matter.  Every score is calculated differently and that's why they vary.  What matters is the scoring and critiera that the lender you're applying to uses.

I'm not even sure I would consider CK a good monitoring tool anymore. My score has not moved in 3 months and have noticed the balances on my accounts they are showing is 2-3 months behind actuals.

Scores Credit Karma TU=697 Vantage 727 | WalMart TU=709 | CreditSesame Exp=739 | Exp. FICO = 739 Barclays TU=706 Discover IT = 702

Discover IT $14,900 | BJ's Perks MC $5500 | TD Bank Visa Signature $5000 | Capitol One QuickSilver One $1600 | Capitol One Platinum Prestige $3000 | Merrick $4000 | Walmart $50000 | PayPal CS $1400 | Fingerhut $1800 | OCCU Duck $5000 | SG Visa $2000
Message 4 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@PCMedic wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

I'm not even sure I would consider CK a good monitoring tool anymore. My score has not moved in 3 months and have noticed the balances on my accounts they are showing is 2-3 months behind actuals.

If you have the free CK they only update every 6 months.

Message 5 of 7
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@PCMedic wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

My CK updates every 7 days (if I remember to log on).  And it is pretty up to date on my balances.  And it is free.

I find it useful to use to check my status with TU, although TU is frequently the slowest to update in general for me

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@PCMedic wrote:

@takeshi74 wrote:

My CK updates every 7 days (if I remember to log on).  And it is pretty up to date on my balances.  And it is free.

I find it useful to use to check my status with TU, although TU is frequently the slowest to update in general for me

My bad.  I meant Quizzle.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.