Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADT Security HP without Permission?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ADT Security HP without Permission?

Hi All, So about a week or so ago, my DH called ADT because we are interested in getting a security system. Talk about hard sell! The guy wouldn't let DH off the phone, and kept insisting he should call me to find out if we could go with them since I am the researcher. The sales guy put the manager on the phone, same hard sell BS. DH finally convinced this guy that I wouldn't just go for it until I had done the research. After that, they have called and called and called, and DH hasn't answered. Well, tonight we pulled up DH's new CCT 3 bureau report, and there is a big, fat HP from ADT Security.Smiley Mad DH only gave them his name and number. Has anyone one had a HP show up like this without having authorized it? Is there any way to dispute it to get it removed?

Safe to say these leeches will not get a penny of our business. We had already decided to go with SimpliSafe and DH was planning on calling ADT tomorrow to get them to stop calling because we've gone with another company, but now he'll have a lot more to say.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ADT Security HP without Permission?

I found a few old threads on this, where there was some great info provided. We will be calling the company today. I still would love to hear any other examples of this happening, though. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Obtaining a consumer credit report with respect to a business transaction initiated by a consumer without need for express consumer authorization was discussed in detail by the FTC in an advisory opinion dated Feb. 11, 1998 (availaible on the FTC web page), quoted as follows:

"1. Section 604(a)(3)(F) permits CRAs to provide consumer reports to any party who has a "legitimate business need for the information in connection with a business transaction that is initiated by the consumer." You ask whether this provision allows a dealer to obtain a consumer report on a person who "comes to an automobile dealership and requests information" from a salesman about one or more automobiles. In our view it does not, because a request for general information about products and prices offered does not involve a business transaction initiated by the consumer.

"More generally, you ask "when is the beginning of a business transaction" initiated by the consumer? In responding to this question, it is important to note that Section 604(a)(3)(F) limits this "business need" permissible purpose to transactions (i) that are "initiated" by the consumer and (ii) where the seller has a "legitimate business need" for the information. The staff's view is that an automobile dealer may obtain a report only in those circumstances in which the consumer clearly understands that he or she is initiating the purchase or lease of a vehicle and the seller has a legitimate business need for the consumer report information in order to complete the transaction.

"For example, a consumer who asks a dealer questions about prices and financing is not necessarily indicating an intent to purchase or lease a vehicle from that particular dealer. Nor does the dealer have a "legitimate" business need for a consumer report in this situation. The consumer may simply be comparison shopping. In such a situation, the dealer must obtain written permission from the consumer before obtaining a consumer report. If the dealer would like to see a consumer's credit report before answering general questions about the availability of financing, this must be explained to the consumer and written permission must be obtained. In the same way, a request to "test drive" a vehicle does not indicate an intent to initiate the purchase or lease of the vehicle. Accordingly, if a consumer asks to test drive a vehicle, the dealer must obtain written permission from the consumer before obtaining a report.

"Only in those circumstances where it is clear both to the consumer and to the dealer that the consumer is actually initiating the purchase or lease of a specific vehicle and, in addition, the dealer has a legitimate business need for consumer report information may the dealer obtain a report without written permission. In this regard, we note that obtaining information for negotiation purposes does not constitute a "legitimate" business need. The dealer must have a specific need for the information directly related to the completion of the transaction. For example, a dealer may obtain a report, if one is necessary, in order to arrange financing requested by the consumer.(1) The dealer may also obtain a report to check a consumer's creditworthiness when the consumer presents a personal check to pay for the vehicle. By contrast, a permissible purpose would not arise if a consumer intends to pay by cash.

FCRA 819 specifies that a party who knowingly and willfully obtains information from a consumer reporting agency under false pretenses shall be fined under Title 18, United States Code, imprisoned for not more than 2 years, or both.”

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, RobertEG. Thanks for the excellent info. It was your previous posts that I referred to above. Believe it or not, I am on hold with the company right now. They are trying to do something about the HP. Update: Off the phone now. They are supposedly going to have the HP removed, and are supposed to contact DH in 24-48 hours. Fingers crossed.☺
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.