Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Fraud and Re-instatement

tag
dacv01
Regular Contributor

AMEX Fraud and Re-instatement

Greetings all, 

I am new here but am posting looking for anyone in a similar situation. I have a twin brother that has stolen my identity ( long process and annoying) Anyway, last June he was able to request two of my American Express cards mailed and intercepted. He made payments on the app with a fradulent bank account, which lowered the balance immediately as it typically does. After a few swipes of each, cards were both at limit. Once payments were returned, AMEX closed my accounts ( blue cash and every day card) I called to let them know the accounts were fraud and they did investigate. Fast forward to a month ago- I have had a lawyer assist with the other issues hes caused. I had to download the statements from both accounts- AMEX refunded my charges on both cards as well as they payments. They are pulling the one card back from the collecitons agency- someone with a thick accent said they would be able to reinstate my cards without a credit pull due to the fraud. Has anyone had success with this? 

> 5 Inquiries, AAoC 4 years, AoOA 7 years, 11 months as of September 2021
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Fraud and Re-instatement

Wow, I hope someone is able to offer advice, but having your twin steal your identity is more than annoying!  Good luck with all of it.  

Message 2 of 6
dacv01
Regular Contributor

Yes, it has been quite the struggle. The last few months have been great however as most of his actions have been removed and my score is finally increasing weekly. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You will need to file a police report and an FTC identity fraud affidavit if you want to be taken seriously by Amex.
Message 4 of 6
dacv01
Regular Contributor

AMEX currently has 30 pages of police reports, court records, and evidence  They just wanted me to send statements in highlighting activity. Fingers crossed they are willing to reinstate, I would like to boost credit back up. 

Message 5 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Moving thread to 'General Credit' for additional exposure.

--UB

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.