Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Personal Loan - PreApproved - Question

tag
TGG_1976
Contributor

AMEX Personal Loan - PreApproved - Question

Hola!

Over the past days, I have received the preapproval message from Amex that I am preapproved for 15k for a personal loan. After paying of my car last year, I currently have no installment loan on my credit reports. I do not need a personal loan and I am not looking to add inquiries to my reports as I am looking to take on a morgage next year. Yet, I know that the installment loan may help boost my scores.

In that case, I would take out the loan, pay it back to get it under 9% remaining balance and then make regular monthly payments. I am just really torn to add an inquirie to my credit reports.

My scores are currently around 730. Overall utilization is 8%. I have 5 inquiries with 3 falling off this year. 

I am just not sure what to do?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: AMEX Personal Loan - PreApproved - Question

If you want to add an installment loan as a way to bolster your credit score, this isn't the way to do it. 

You want a shared secured loan that allows you to pay down 91% of the loan immediately while retaining the original due dates of the payments against the remaining 9% of the loan.  It's the latter requirement that many installment loans do not do.

The NFCU SSL is the lastest favorite here but there are others.  There is a slightly aged master thread discussing the search for an alternative after Alliant FCU discontinued their product if you want to search for it and get some ideas.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 4
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@TGG_1976 wrote:

Hola!

Over the past days, I have received the preapproval message from Amex that I am preapproved for 15k for a personal loan. After paying of my car last year, I currently have no installment loan on my credit reports. I do not need a personal loan and I am not looking to add inquiries to my reports as I am looking to take on a morgage next year. Yet, I know that the installment loan may help boost my scores.

In that case, I would take out the loan, pay it back to get it under 9% remaining balance and then make regular monthly payments. I am just really torn to add an inquirie to my credit reports.

My scores are currently around 730. Overall utilization is 8%. I have 5 inquiries with 3 falling off this year. 

I am just not sure what to do?

If you want my opinion, skip it.  You don't need another inquiry. And you don't need a new account. It just isn't worth it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 4
TGG_1976
Contributor

Thank you @SouthJamaica and @coldfusion, I appreciate your input. I hold off and skip this offer! I am glad I asked!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.