cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX account number question - 34999XXXXX...

tag
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

AMEX account number question - 34999XXXXX...

I'm not sure why I just noticed this but all my AMEX account numbers start with "34999" on all my credit reports. I'm curious if this is normal for everyone else also?

Also, why in the world does EQ show a "-34999" instead of "34999"?

That just seems really weird to me.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: AMEX account number question - 34999XXXXX...

@TheFIGuy wrote:

I'm not sure why I just noticed this but all my AMEX account numbers start with "34999" on all my credit reports. I'm curious if this is normal for everyone else also?

First 6 digits of a credit card are the BIN number, which indicates the issuer (issuers can have several).   So not too much of a surprise

Message 2 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

My Amex account numbers appear differently depending on which report and where I am viewing them.  The one thing they have in common is not matching my actual card numbers.  It's normal.

Message 3 of 5
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@TheFIGuy wrote:

First 6 digits of a credit card are the BIN number, which indicates the issuer (issuers can have several).   So not too much of a surprise

But those are not the first 6 digits of my AMEX CC numbers lol.

Message 4 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TheFIGuy wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@TheFIGuy wrote:

But those are not the first 6 digits of my AMEX CC numbers lol.

Oops, missed that.  Sorry.    But 34999X  is a BIN of Amex.   Looking at my credit report, the numbers often correspond to BINs, but not always, my Barclay cards show as 000153 for example which is invalid.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.