Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX new cardmember (story)

tag
elixerin
Established Contributor

AMEX new cardmember (story)

heya guys... adding an AU to my recent (1 mo) amex card she actually ended up dropping the card at the grocery store and some clown picked up the card and ran thousands of dollars in charges... disputed it while the fraud charges were pending and that phone call card was disabled.. the very next day the pending charges were gone/available credit was back.

Can’t tell you how amazing AMEX actually is.. i was actually planning on running a lot of business expenses through it and this exceptional service put 0 interruption in that.

most companies i (think) will do a whole investigation and the above solution will only be achievable after 30 days minimum putting a hold on you’re expenses, anywho thanks for listening

would love to hear how Chase, Discover, and other CC issuers would handle situations like these if anyone wants to share... im lucky enough to only have had this happen once and hopefully never again!

(also im kinda annoyed and very curious to know... did the perp just basically get away with all the charges?? did i just lose amex thousands of dollars because of it? ofcourse this was my only course of action and if i could file a police report i definitely would... i feel a lil bad on amex’s part as some **bleep** is out there possibly a couple thousand “richer”, what can/should i do to help?)
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: AMEX new cardmember (story)

Glad they took care of ya!  Since you asked about CapOne and Discover I can give you recent firsthand experience.  As soon as I called, both ccc's shut everything down, issued new cards for immediate delivery and use.  It did take an investigation on both ends but the accts. remained usable.  As for my son, CapOne had some hiccups along the way but that was due to the walmart card transition so I feel it's safe to say those two ccc's did a great job for our fraudulent charges/activities.

Now that I'm a Biz Amex customer, I'm glad to read your post/experience with a positive outcome.  We definitely don't need business held up do we now?  (stupid thief, too bad he/she didn't get caught) Maybe you could set spending limits for a little extra protection, I'm thinking of doing that now myself.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 2 of 27
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

Glad everything worked out well for you. Amex simply did a chargeback on the merchant who accepted the fradulent card for payment. Discover did a similar thing for me. It took a few days as an employee of the merchant used Disco to "fulfill" an order I never palced. The employee obviously keep customer's account info and used it to make her month. 

Amex is the most difficult issuer in my experince. I use BCE for grocery only when Disco and Freedom do not have grocery for a bonus category. Many times I just use Double Cash for grocery as a penny is not worth the potential hassle with Amex over nothing.

Message 3 of 27
FlaDude
Established Contributor

In my experience they do exactly like you say as far as removing the charges so that they don't show on your account, but the investigation will take a month or two. At that point you'll receive a letter telling you that the charges are permanently removed. I've found Chase to be about the same.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elixerin wrote:
heya guys... adding an AU to my recent (1 mo) amex card she actually ended up dropping the card at the grocery store and some clown picked up the card and ran thousands of dollars in charges... disputed it while the fraud charges were pending and that phone call card was disabled.. the very next day the pending charges were gone/available credit was back.

Can’t tell you how amazing AMEX actually is.. i was actually planning on running a lot of business expenses through it and this exceptional service put 0 interruption in that.

most companies i (think) will do a whole investigation and the above solution will only be achievable after 30 days minimum putting a hold on you’re expenses, anywho thanks for listening

would love to hear how Chase, Discover, and other CC issuers would handle situations like these if anyone wants to share... im lucky enough to only have had this happen once and hopefully never again!

(also im kinda annoyed and very curious to know... did the perp just basically get away with all the charges?? did i just lose amex thousands of dollars because of it? ofcourse this was my only course of action and if i could file a police report i definitely would... i feel a lil bad on amex’s part as some **bleep** is out there possibly a couple thousand “richer”, what can/should i do to help?)

@elixerin Serious question... what was the point of adding someone as an authorized user to your Amex account?  As I recall you have an Cash Magnet card with a $4K limit, and a credit profile that is barely one year old, and an Average Age of Accounts that is significantly less than one year.  I simply don't see how such a young, thin credit profile is helpful to an authorized user, especially when Amex does not backdate credit history,  but perhaps I'm missing something.

Message 5 of 27
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@elixerin wrote:

@elixerinSerious question... what was the point of adding someone as an authorized user to your Amex account?  As I recall you have an Cash Magnet card with a $4K limit, and a credit profile that is barely one year old, and an Average Age of Accounts that is significantly less than one year.  I simply don't see how such a young, thin credit profile is helpful to an authorized user, especially when Amex does not backdate credit history,  but perhaps I'm missing something.

This. AUs are almost never a good idea. To borrow from Penelope Lively, people are always meaning well and that's often the trouble.

Back to OP's questions, I've had similar experiences with Fraud handling with Chase in that the disputed charges are immediately wiped out, and I also have heard similar with Capital One. It's certainly not unique to American Express.

Very likely nothing's going to happen to the perp in this case. This is a common crime for which there is little motivation or appetite among law enforcement to fix. The losses from it are already baked into most bank's business models, so in effect all the good people are paying a little more to offset the cost of the bad people. It's not really any different in other markets, either - retailers mark up items to a minor degree to offset shoplifter loss and even hospitals mark up care a small amount to offset the freeloaders who have no insurance but still require care (though their markup is mostly to offset being lowballed by insurance companies).

Message 6 of 27
elixerin
Established Contributor

um cause i need additional cards? not rocket science

thanks for the response iced
Message 7 of 27
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@elixerin 

I forgot to ask you which card was it, Business or Personal?  On our new Business cards I added every employee and set spending limits....not because I don't trust the employees but because of the fraud we had experienced and certainly don't want that happening again and possibly on a larger scale.

If you haven't set those limits already try to remember to; it won't mess up purchases because you will be alerted immediately for any declines and can change/adjust the amt. pdq.

Message 8 of 27
elixerin
Established Contributor

thanks for the reply peachy, can this be done on personal as well?
Message 9 of 27
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@elixerin wrote:
thanks for the reply peachy, can this be done on personal as well?

Idk, I don't have any personal cards, just business.  Idk what the personal dashboard even looks like but surely they have that feature for all cards I would suspect. 

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.