Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU Question

tag
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

AU Question

I am considering adding my GF with whom I live as an AU on a few of my cards. We share all expenses and while she ran into some credit trouble in 2018, she makes good money and is currently responsible with her finances.

I am wondering if someone's past history with a lender has a negative effect on the primary account holder. For example: my girlfriend has burned NFCU in the past, if I add her to my Navy Credit Card is that going to negatively effect my relationship that I am cultivating with Navy (it may be that they don't approve her as an AU altogether but wanted to get any opinions on the above before making a decision on the matter).

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: AU Question

No, in the eyes of the bank/lender the primary cardholder is the one financially responsible for all charges on the account. Any authorized users is just that someone who you trust to make charges on the account but you will be the one ultimately paying for said credit card charges. So to answer your question no it will not reflect negatively on you if you were to add your girlfriend on your card who has had a prior negative relationship with that including AA/BK/etc.

Message 2 of 5
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

Perfect, thank you!

Message 3 of 5
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

No, in the eyes of the bank/lender the primary cardholder is the one financially responsible for all charges on the account. Any authorized users is just that someone who you trust to make charges on the account but you will be the one ultimately paying for said credit card charges. So to answer your question no it will not reflect negatively on you if you were to add your girlfriend on your card who has had a prior negative relationship with that including AA/BK/etc.

However, on the other side of the coin, NFCU may decline her as an AU once her SS# is submitted.

And you didn't ask, but IMHO and just my 2cents, I wouldn't request to have her added as an AU. Since she is now making a good income and is on the right track, it may be a good idea for her to clear up the debt with NFCU so that she can be reinstated. Just a thought. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 5
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

@CreditInspired 

Thanks for the additional feedback. Yeah it was something that I was just considering but I haven't talked to about it yet. That's probably the best route to go, I honestly don't know how much she burned them for haha but I'm going to start by encouraging her to clear things up and we'll see. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.