Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AU question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AU question

DW and I both have the same cards mine: Cap1 MC $2300 CL, Cap1 MC Rewards $500 CL (in credit steps), Walmart $700 CL. Hers: Cap1 MC $3300 CL, Cap1 MC Rewards $500 CL (in credit steps). 

Would it be a good idea to make each other AU's on our cards?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: AU question

It wont hurt in my opinion if you each keep utilization down. If for the reason of history for future credit cards a lot of companies don't figure in authorized users and some do.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Would it be a good idea to make each other AU's on our cards?

It's really your call to make.  Not all creditors and scoring models consider accounts where one is an AU so being an AU won't matter one way or another for scoring purposes in such cases.  If an account is in good shape it can help but if the account has high utilization, derogs, etc it won't help.

Another thing to consider is whether or not either of you needs to be able to use the other's account.  My wife and I are only AU's on certain cards for each other based on our needs.

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

With an account of another reporting to your file, your resulting score will be based in part on the history of that account.

That means that a creditor who wishes to see a score that is representative of only your own credit history cannot do so.

They cannot back out that accuont an produce a score that excludes its effect.

That might impact the value of your score as a factor in their decision making, particularly if the credit being sought is of high principal balance.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks folks! Since we are mirroring cards I guess making each other AU's won't matter much.

And sorry for putting the question in the wrong forum Marine. Since we're rebuilding, I thought it went there. Thanks for moving it though.

Message 5 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks folks! Since we are mirroring cards I guess making each other AU's won't matter much.

And sorry for putting the question in the wrong forum Marine. Since we're rebuilding, I thought it went there. Thanks for moving it though.

No problem. Often times it's a subjective decision where a post belongs.

None of us get it right all the time.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.