Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AUTO ACCIDENT left me CREDIT SCORE HEADACHE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AUTO ACCIDENT left me CREDIT SCORE HEADACHE

A few years ago, I was in an auto accident at no fault of my own.  It took about 2 years for my lawyer to settle with the at-fault persons insurance.  I complained to my lawyer that the settlement was taking too long and I was afraid that with the medical bills coming in it would start effecting my credit.  Needless to say, I was right.

My lawyer simply told me to bring any bills I received to him and he would take care of it. 

Three years after the accident and a year after the settlement, my credit reports are showing entries from collection agencies for medical bills, that have been paid, as remaining unpaid.

I'm sure I'll have to call and dispute this with the agencies!  I can hardly believe that after a year this is yet to be updated.

I wanted to know if there is a way to have these removed from my reports? 

Also, I'm not sure what the laws are on this but it doesn't seem right that these medical facilities, fully knowing that these services were required due to an auto accident and that payment was pending insurance settlement, would send these accounts to collections that would eventually show up on my credit reports.

Thanks for listening to my sincere aggravation.  Love to hear some feedback. 
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AUTO ACCIDENT left me CREDIT SCORE HEADACHE

Welcome.. Please read the Scoring 101 thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=ficoscoring&thread.id=2654
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.