cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accidentally carried a balance... how do I reset?

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Accidentally carried a balance... how do I reset?

So I just figured out that cashing in rewards on my Affinity card does not count as payment towards the balance, even if it takes the balance down to zero.  I made additional purchases later in the month and got a little surprise interest charge on my statement today.

Assuming I pay it down to zero right away (with real money), do I also need to report zero balance next statement to bring back the grace period?

One of my hard rules was to never pay interest, so I'm really annoyed about this.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Accidentally carried a balance... how do I reset?

Typically, you have to have a statement cut at 0 to get back your grace period. Not sure about affinity.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Accidentally carried a balance... how do I reset?

PIF ASAP so that interest stops accruing immediately, unless it will be the minimum interest amount anyway. If not, even include estimated interest+ for current cycle so that statement has a small credit balance when it cuts. Probably not necessary but that's what I'd do. 

You probably only paid pocket change in interest, but a mistake you won't make again. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.