Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account in collection on my report that isnt mine

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Account in collection on my report that isnt mine

I got an email from experian that I had an update to my report also that my score decreased, I went into check this account is in collection from DIVERSIFIED CONSULTANTS for a balance with T-Mobile. I have never in my life been associated with a T-Mobile account, I got a call from this company a few months ago I told them this and they said they would handled it. Fast foward till now and I see it's in collection on my credit report. I filed a dispute online with experian, is there anything else I should be doing to handle this? I have been paying off my large credit debt to improve my credit and now this happens so it really is bad timing.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Account in collection on my report that isnt mine

File a police report?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Follow through with the disputes. Send the CA a letter with your dispute. I had a similar issue with an ATT mobile account years ago. Keep your paperwork if your situation ends up anything like mine it will rear it's head again. 

Don't just rely on the Experian dispute to clear it up. TGhey will validate the debt with the bill of sale information from T-Mobile or who ever they bought it from. In your letter to the CA give details the one thing I had on my side is that that phones purchased and addresses used were in Florida. I live in Texas. After about a week after sending the letter call them talk with their CRD (dispute) department. And when they ultimately remove the account demand a letter from them. That ATT account popped up 3 times on me and I have an Miami address on my CBR that never was removed. 

And file a Police report you can get a head start by filing an ID Theft affidavit at the FTC website. (https://www.identitytheft.gov/) Include copies in the letter to the CA. And keep an eye on your credit reports. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any reccomended premium services for monitoring this and other things going forward? I am using a free Experian account only at the moment.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also right now I have no information on the T mobile account I have never gotten any other notifcaton of the account or the collection through mail or phone call. So I should call T-Mobile and tell them about this and they will give me account information if it exist?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So a bit of an update the dispute with experian completed and they deleted it off my report. I am waiting on Equifax and Transunion disputes now. If they all go the same way is there anything else I should do after or be on the look out for?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Transunion dispute completed and it's deleted off of there now too.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.