Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actions have Consequences

tag
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Actions have Consequences

I have noticed that a small set of posters here seem to think that they have a God Given right to a clean credit report and a high FICO score.

It seems like these people get upset because when they have any sort of baddie reported and seem to think  it should immediately be removed from thier credit report or at least result in no more than a drop of a few points on their FICO.  

Then some posters seem to think that since they just had their BK discharged they should immeadiately be able to get a new unsecured high CL credit card.

Then there are those who seem to think that if they make a PFD offer or send a Goodwill request that the creditor if being unfair if they  don't accept the PFD or Goodwill request. 

Maybe I am misreading some posts but if I am not then lets try to remember that actions have conseques.   I messed up my credit in the past.  I had a BK, that didn't straighten me out, and I had other credit problems after that.  For a number of years I didn't do anything about it but I have been actively working to correct it for the last two years.  I have used PFD, I have tried (without success) a Goodwill campaign, now I am gardening.   I will have a clean report in 8/19, maybe sooner if I get some success with my Goodwill letters.  

Put in the work, do what you can to clean up your reports.  However don't forget a report with baddies and a low FICO are what we earned with our own mistakes.

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Actions have Consequences

I dont believe in such a pessimistic and brooding outlook on life.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you are misreading the posts and an assumption on your part that these people think they have a God given right to clean credit report et al. There is nothing wrong venting out your frustrations if efforts being made aren't yielding results.  After all, we are all human with lots of flaws.

These people here are optimists and there is nothing wrong with that.  That is why we have the board and these ventings and assumptions like yours are what make it interesting.

They have owned their mistakes, are putting in the work otherwise they won't be creating threads.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

However, if you don't like those "GOD given rights" posts, don't read them.

Save yourself the aggravation, then you won't feel the need to insult the authors of the posts you despise.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a clean report, so I don't have a dog in this fight.  One thing I will say, though, coming from a quite dirty file is that not all delinquencies are created equal.  From a FICO scoring perspective they are, meaning a 90 day late is a 90 day late, etc.  But there are differences in circumstances surrounding delinquencies.  There's the, "I screwed up and was late" which many admit.  But, there are also mistakes or BS that can lead to delinquencies.  When it comes to mistakes and BS, I think many people have the right to voice their discontent.  

Example 1:  I double paid my mortgage one month by accident a few years back.  I had forgot that I set up auto-pay, so the auto-pay came out and I also made a manual payment within a day or two of it.  I contacted the lender and asked that they apply one of the two payments to the following cycle.  They said no problem, but didn't do as I requested and just applied both payments to the current cycle.  The following month I didn't pay, so by the next month when I did pay I had already been reported late.

Example 2:  I had a loan that I had a year left to pay off and I decided to pay it off way early.  Somehow I short-paid the payoff by $2.93.  I was never contacted letting me know I short-paid the final amount.  I found out months later when applying for a car loan that I was 90 days late on the above mentioned loan.  My scores had tanked some 100 points, all over $2.93.  Was it my fault?  Well, yeah, but clearly my intent was to pay off the entire loan, not leave $2.93.  A little communication would have avoided the issue.

Anyway, my point is that there are circumstances where someone does have the right to complain about their score related to baddies when they feel that they didn't do anything to devalue their true creditworthiness.  As with anything, there are exceptions to every rule.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is part of the overly judgmental world we live in right now. People generalize, create a vision in their mind of the person they are judging, get irritated by it, and let loose. It's not helpful. Nobody here thinks that actions don't have consequences.

Message 6 of 10
Moneyklutz
Frequent Contributor

@MakingProgress wrote:

I have noticed that a small set of posters here seem to think that they have a God Given right to a clean credit report and a high FICO score.

Be careful that you're not mixing up your anger towards the few that express entitlement vs those who are attempting to better their situation and might be simply venting their frustrations in not accomplishing it as quickly or as easily as others here may have.

I believe we all have made grievous credit mistakes in our past, otherwise we'd not be here. Owning up to my previous actions and attempting to fix them is why I return more than daily to this forum. 

Message 7 of 10
trusty
Frequent Contributor

One of the biggest mistakes people make is thinking that good intentions have any correlation on one's credit reports. Most people are aghast to discover that paying a derogatory item is pointless and even hurtful; and instead should rather have the item simply stricken from their reports in total, regardless of whether payment actually occurs. It would make a lot more sense to reward paying off derogatory debts, but currently there's just no benefit to it whatsoever. Once we discover these ridiculous parameters, we have no other choice than to operate within them, to the best of our abilities.

Let's face it, the entire financial system is deeply flawed, all the way down to subjective credit reporting. Trying to personally fall down one one's own sword to repent... is neither noble, nor does it fix anything. Alas, retaining a lawyer does.

I think everyone deserves the right to fully wield whatever legal options that they have at their disposal, just as the aristocrats do. Anything less would be a gross disservice to oneself, and to one's own legacy.

We all know that what goes around comes around... but, the scales are unbalanced to begin with. Once we're able to grasp the larger scheme of things, then we are able to cut ourselves a bit of slack - and rightfully so.

Message 8 of 10
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Save yourself the aggravation, then you won't feel the need to insult the authors of the posts you despise.

I wasn't going to respond to any replies when I did my OP.  However I feel I need to respond to this one.

It was not my intent to insult anyone.   I did not name any author nor I did not directly quote any author.  I used generic examples of some of the things I have read here.  My intent was to talk about certian types of posts not any individual post to generate a discussion.   If anyone was offended by my OP then please accept my apology. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 9 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MakingProgress wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I wasn't going to respond to any replies when I did my OP.  However I feel I need to respond to this one.

It was not my intent to insult anyone.   I did not name any author nor I did not directly quote any author.  I used generic examples of some of the things I have read here.  My intent was to talk about certian types of posts not any individual post to generate a discussion.   If anyone was offended by my OP then please accept my apology. 

I'm not offended.  I'm one of those few people who does have a God given right to a clean credit report and a high FICO score.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.