Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Employer and Other Personal Info to CRs

tag
codefreak13
Regular Contributor

Adding Employer and Other Personal Info to CRs

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on adding personal information to CRs, such as employer or phone number? I don't see this topic out much on the web. I know it doesn't affect scoring; thinking it through I don't really see how it would help on a manual review by a UW (as they couldn't exactly call the employer to verify). Anyone denied credit for reasons related to personal info (other than addresses)?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Nyru
Valued Member

Re: Adding Employer and Other Personal Info to CRs

I've never pesonally added an employer. I have just seen SOME get added, and others don't. I never understood why.

Starting Score (2/15/13): EX (fako) 583// EQ FICO 634// TU FICO 658
Current Score (5/27/14): EX FICO 719// EQ FICO 742// TU FICO 729
Goal Scores: 740 on all.
CSP- 10K, United mileage explorer- 9k, Freedom- 5k, Barclays Arrival+ W.E.- 5k, Nordstrom- 6k, Chase Hyatt- 5k, Discover it- 5k, Slate- 4.5k, Amex Blue Cash- 1k.
Message 2 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

@codefreak13 wrote:

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on adding personal information to CRs, such as employer or phone number? I don't see this topic out much on the web. I know it doesn't affect scoring; thinking it through I don't really see how it would help on a manual review by a UW (as they couldn't exactly call the employer to verify). Anyone denied credit for reasons related to personal info (other than addresses)?

Basically you just need to have your employer update it with the CRAs. Sometimes it gets updated auotmatically when the company and/or you file taxes.

My guess is that having a reputable job certain employers (i.e. fortune 100 companies) listed can "help" your CR look a little more favorable, because those jobs aren't easy to come by. Most of the time it really won't affect anything though. It's really just for ID purposes.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Your employer information gets added to your credit report usually when you apply for credit and you give them your employer's name.  I know this because I applied for credit over the phone with NFCU a while back (they pulled TU) and the rep completely mispelled my employers name, and now I have this mispelled iteration of my employer's name on just my TU report.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 11
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Your employer information gets added to your credit report usually when you apply for credit and you give them your employer's name.  I know this because I applied for credit over the phone with NFCU a while back (they pulled TU) and the rep completely mispelled my employers name, and now I have this mispelled iteration of my employer's name on just my TU report.

I can confirm that the employer info must have been added from a lender side as my employer in Europe does not even know about the existance of Experian and is listed on that file. TU and EQ have no employement info for me. My guess is that BofA has reported this info (was looking at the reporting date and this leaves me only 1 option)

looks really funny a Swiss employer on Experian Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

One of the main uses of personal identifiers in your credit file is that they are used by the CRAs as the criiteria for matching credit reporting with the correct credit file.

Their current accuracy helps in preventing mismatching of reporting with the wrong consumer file.

Supposedly unique identifiers, such as SSN or TIN, are the primary matching criterion.

However, full name and current address can be significant, such as if SSN is not provided, and your are a Jr living at the same address with dad.

I dont think employment info is used in file matching, but certainly is someething that potential creditors will take a look at.

Message 6 of 11
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

One of the main uses of personal identifiers in your credit file is that they are used by the CRAs as the criiteria for matching credit reporting with the correct credit file.

Their current accuracy helps in preventing mismatching of reporting with the wrong consumer file.

Supposedly unique identifiers, such as SSN or TIN, are the primary matching criterion.

However, full name and current address can be significant, such as if SSN is not provided, and your are a Jr living at the same address with dad.

I dont think employment info is used in file matching, but certainly is someething that potential creditors will take a look at.

Yep.

Unfortunately my files have no curret or past employers listed. I'm not sure how long they stay on when they are added. The last time I apped for credit before I retired was around 1980 (never added to CCs after that or bought anything on credit) so I guess they don't keep them on forever.

But it does look odd to creditors when you app. Even when you say you are retired they ask how long ago.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 7 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I've updated my info and removed employers  and old phone numbers.  The employee information was way off.  I did a simple dispute and it was removed almost immediately.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you do dispute personal identifier information, dont dispute directly with the employer.  Send it to the CRAs.

The direct dispute rules at 16 CFR 660.4 specifically exempt personal identifier information from the direct disptue process.

Message 9 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

If you do dispute personal identifier information, dont dispute directly with the employer.  Send it to the CRAs.

The direct dispute rules at 16 CFR 660.4 specifically exempt personal identifier information from the direct disptue process.

I agree, I disputed with the CRAs, and I only disputed because the info was way off!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.