Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Re Affirm

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice Re Affirm

Over the past year, I have used Affirm a number of times to make a purchase and spread the payment over a number of months.  So, it ends up being like a personal loan on Experian.  That's the only one of the agencies it reports to.  They don't seem to report very well, though.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe these accounts factor into my AAoA.  I currently have the funds available where I could pay them off.  But, I got tho thinking that I was paying a Credit Builder Loan a year ago (paid off recently).  Do you think I should keep them open and get the additional credit history from them or pay them off and possibly reduce my average age of account? 

Other than those accounts, I have 4 open credit cards (not very good ones, but they are all in good shape).  1  closed credit card that was late 60 days.  A FC from 4 years ago, even though it is not reported correctly, and I can't seem to get it fixed.  And two accounts for Furniture Fair (only on Equifax)...one good and one bad.  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice Re Affirm

Closing them won't affect AAoA. Closed accounts stay on your reports for up to ten years. As to whether you should: what interest rate are you paying? If it's high, I'd open another SSL for the longest term possible, immediately pay it down to almost nothing, and let it sit on your reports for years to award you points based on a loan being under 8.9%. Once that's established and reporting, pay these off and be done with them.

Message 2 of 4
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Closing them won't affect AAoA. Closed accounts stay on your reports for up to ten years. As to whether you should: what interest rate are you paying? If it's high, I'd open another SSL for the longest term possible, immediately pay it down to almost nothing, and let it sit on your reports for years to award you points based on a loan being under 8.9%. Once that's established and reporting, pay these off and be done with them.

+1

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which provider for credit builder loan can you do that with?  I know it doesn't work with Self.  Thanks in advance.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.