Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for fixing my credit. Homeless, living in car

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice for fixing my credit. Homeless, living in car

Hello everyone. I need some sound advice about my options for repairing my credit. I have 3 accounts in collections and two capital one cards that are closed/charged off. I got all of these cards around the same time, when I was trying to build my credit about 2 years ago. I paid all of them on time and my score was quickly rising. Then I lost my job and everything fell apart. I stopped making payments because I couldnt....not because I didn't care or was being irresponsible.
I am homeless now. For the past 8 months I've been living in a rental car. I have a job, but it doesn't pay very well. I pay almost $900 a month for the rental car because I don't have enough money to pay $1500-2000 for a down payment to purchase a car. I'll never be able to save that much paying $900 a month for rental. I feel hopeless that I'll never be able to get out of this situation.
I was thinking about hiring a credit repair firm to clean up my credit, but I don't know if that would work or if I could even afford it. I need some good advice. I've been reading the forums here and other ones, but there so much conflicting information online, it's hard to sort through it and discern what is true and what is bs. I would be truly grateful for any help.
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Advice for fixing my credit. Homeless, living in car

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello everyone. I need some sound advice about my options for repairing my credit. I have 3 accounts in collections and two capital one cards that are closed/charged off. I got all of these cards around the same time, when I was trying to build my credit about 2 years ago. I paid all of them on time and my score was quickly rising. Then I lost my job and everything fell apart. I stopped making payments because I couldnt....not because I didn't care or was being irresponsible.
I am homeless now. For the past 8 months I've been living in a rental car. I have a job, but it doesn't pay very well. I pay almost $900 a month for the rental car because I don't have enough money to pay $1500-2000 for a down payment to purchase a car. I'll never be able to save that much paying $900 a month for rental. I feel hopeless that I'll never be able to get out of this situation.
I was thinking about hiring a credit repair firm to clean up my credit, but I don't know if that would work or if I could even afford it. I need some good advice. I've been reading the forums here and other ones, but there so much conflicting information online, it's hard to sort through it and discern what is true and what is bs. I would be truly grateful for any help.

1. You're not going to be able to borrow your way out of this situation, so forget about credit right now.

2. You need to talk to a social agency or somebody about housing, a $900 mo. rental car does you no good.

3. You need to get a room or an apartment first, before you get a car.

4. When you have 1500 or 2000 you shouldn't make a down payment, you should just buy a car from an invidivual selling a decent running older car.

5. I give you a lot of credit for holding down a job with the stress you're under.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 21
stellar
Established Contributor

I think you should look to rent a room in a house or find someone looking for a roomate.  Craigslist is a good resource for that.  Should be much cheaper than 900/mo.  Try to find someplace near your work.

Also, make as many friends as possible, that is often a good way to have someone offer to let you stay with them.  

You could potentially also move to a warmer climate, and just use a bicycle for transportation to work.  

As far as credit repair: you would want to offer to pay for deletion of your bad accounts, get it in writing that they will delete after payment.  

The next step would be to get a secured card from SDFCU (they don't pull credit).  And use it wisely for a few months.

But the thing is, in your situation, you probably shouldn't use your money to repair your credit, but to look to stabilize your living situation first.

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you should concentrate on your health and well being before worrying about your credit health right now.

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually have 2 jobs. Both of them require a car. I have applied for countless jobs that wouldn't require a car(including crappy jobs at a thrift store and convenience store), but I haven't had any luck. The only place that has called me in for an interview is the USPS....for a rural carrier position that also requires a car. I also go to school full time online.
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

First of all, I have better things to do with what little free time I have than to go on a Fico forum and make up a story. I'm not sure why anyone would do that, even if they had nothing at all to do.

I have 2 jobs. They are both 1099 independent contractor positions. One of those jobs is driving for a rideshare service. There is a lot of sitting and waiting with that job....that's when I work on my school work. The other job is mostly on the weekend. I work a total of 40+ hours a week. I average $8-10 an hour. You can do the math and see how far that goes.
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a secured credit card. I received a tuition waiver for one semester because I am homeless. I do all my work on my android. I have prepaid cell service through smart talk. It's $55 a month unlimited talk and text with 10gb of data. I use free wifi whenever I can. I have learned ways to eat on a small budget. Besides, I don't eat that much. I'm a very small female. .
Do you think I have not considered any of the options you suggested? I do regularly look for jobs outside my area. Most of the jobs I qualify for don't pay any better than the crappy ones I have now. Moving into an apartment--even a small, cheap one--costs a lot. Most places require first and last month's rent upfront. Most studios are at least $700-800 a month(whether it's utilities included or 450-500 and you pay your own). It will cost $1,500 to.get into a studio. I don't have that much cash. Even if I did have a studio and no car, I'd have to pay for transportation. Getting an uber ride to work would be $12 a day minimum. Times 5 days a week is $60...
$240 a month.
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I came here to this forum for credit advice. If you think I'm making all of this up, fine. Believe what you want. If you have any advice for me regarding credit repair, that would be great. I woukd really appreciate it. If not, I'm sure there's a lot of other people you could interrogate.
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's what it come down to- with the amount of money I make, I have 2 options: I can pay for a car or a place to live. I cannot afford both. I can't drive an apartment to work, but I can sleep in the car. It's not fun or easy, but it could be worse.
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having a home is important to me, but right now the jobs I have require a car. If I don't have a car, I can't work. Then I would literally be living in the streets. There is no public transportation where I live (the FL Panhandle...I'd rather not say which city). I shower at the gym now. Before that, I used the bathhouse at one of the state park campgrounds nearby, or the beach shower, and on the weekends at my other job I had access to a shower there. You would NEVER imagine I was homeless if you saw me out somewhere. I shower everyday, put on clean clothes and make-up just as I've always done.

The reason why my credit is important is because if I could get my score up, I could get a car with a reasonable monthly payment....Like $400 instead of $900. Then I would be able to save up some money and get back on my feet and not be homeless. Does that make sense?
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.