Advice on CoSigning / AU

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice on CoSigning / AU

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

1. Joint Credit Cards are rarely available these days so lets start there.

2. For car if you just did it and it's your local credit union, worth a call to see if they would re-do contract but chances are slim since they would basically be cancelling the other loan contract and doing another.

3. Do you have an American Express... that would be my #1 choice for you to add her too.

4. If she doesn't care about building on her own faster then you adding her to 2-3 accounts (amex, Chase, Capital One, Bank of America) come to mind as top picks and then wait 6 months... she will then generate her own Fico (maybe 7) and at that point could apply for her own cards with just about anyone and probalby get approved.

5. if she wants to build her own now she could probably get capital one journey, possibly a citi card and bofa I have heard of some getting issued with no credit. but smaller limits.

6. I would not do joint unless you have discover (they are one of the few that still offer it and it's easy and no credit pull for her... you call and ask for joint application form to be sent, you both fill it out and send back and short time later she will get card and it's joint) but problem with joint is they usually have to be closed to get a joint holder off, can't just request someone be removed like with AU.

and i keep reading that no one cares about AU... that is FALSE... while at one time lots of talk of banks stopping to count AU for scoring and approvals, many still do and most of the systems do too!

US bank offers it for theirs and I believe my parents are joint on a chase Freedom but they had it for like forever ,

I have also said SOME banks don't care about AU like Chase 

Chase did use to but no longer offers joint accounts.

Ah Ok didn't know that . Just knew my parents were joint account users with their Freedom card. My mother been a chase customer before they were named Chase lol. 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

CreditAddict I took your advice and applied for an AMEX, was pre-approved for the Gold, Everyday Preferred, and Platinum. I chose the Everyday Preferred, just couldn't take advantage of the others. Sent the online app off and it was approved, pretty exicted about that. Added the spouse as an AU also.

I added her to my Discover More card earlier, should I stop here or go ahead and add to Chase Freedom? Really appreciate all of the help!

Message 12 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

1. If go ahead and do freedom so she has 3.
2. Isn't more rewards not as good as the "it"? You know you can just call them and ask them to product change to it very easily
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

By "it" do you mean I should have went with the other cards since they are more prestigious? Will that make a huge difference? I just wasn't crazy about the annual fee(gold was $175 for AU's annually and Platinum was like $450 annually) ..decent amount of money for cards that don't really benefit me aside from saying I have a "prestigious AMEX" ...am I looking at this the wrong way? I just have a basic understanding of this stuff, don't know the ins and outs yet. Thanks for all of the help.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.